walk forward or cross validation?

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
ADMP
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

walk forward or cross validation?

Post by ADMP »

Hi,

do some of you, when you perform an out-sample test, have a preference toward the walk forward vs. the cross validation? If yes why (other that the relative longer out-sample period with the cross validation)?

To be sure that we talk about the same thing, I take an example. We have 15 years data (1985-1999). For the walk forward, I will typically take 5 years for the in sample period (1985-1989) to calibrate the model and test out-sample on the following year (1990). Then I will roll the in-sample (1986-1990) and test on 1991, so that at the end we have 10 years out-sample.
For the cross validation, I will hold out each time one year for the out-sample test (ie 1995) and calibrate the model on the 14 remaining years (1985-1994 + 1996-1999 have to be linked). At the end we have 15 years out-sample (each year performance and signals being calculated with different parameters of the model).

I have been using the walk forward for a while without thinking about the cross validation. Now that I am coming accross this alternative, I cannot see any argument against it.

Alex
ADMP
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Out-sample results

Post by ADMP »

Hi,

any feedback on this previous post?

Alexandre