How do you keep fit or unfit

Discussions about personal psychology for the individual trader.

What mental-physical activity do you practice?

Ashtanga Yoga
60%
Golf
40%

Total votes: 10

kianti
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

How do you keep fit or unfit

Post by kianti »

I was reading the post on
viewtopic.php?t=1090&highlight=
and went to see the education section on
http://www.keenercapital.com/archive/
and noticed
The Five Tibetan Rites
http://www.keenercapital.com/archive/Th ... 0Rites.pdf

There is a lot of related literature on the subject, see
[quote]A number of recent books have emphasized trading as a performance activity, in which mental state is a key element in success or failure. So prevalent is this view that two separate books with the same title—Trading in the Zone—have appeared in the last two years. What is this “zoneâ€
Attachments
larryposeindex.jpg
larryposeindex.jpg (22.81 KiB) Viewed 8256 times
Dan G

Post by Dan G »

I do astanga yoga too. I have about a decade of martial arts along with it, but I find yoga to be more useful. The Zen-Archer thing is good for daytraders, but for just sitting down and doing system development, is it all that useful? Maybe I've internalized it so I no longer notice it, or simply think that it's normal. I did lots of meditating and traing at this level, so it did have and has a big impact on me.

I do think that the 'flow' feeling described is different from the Zen Archer feeling. Those last few paragrahps do describe the process pretty well. do you enjoy 'getting your eyes all crossy'? Yes or no? I do.

Without a doubt, being able to work longer hours makes a difference in the overall quality of work. For example, a friend of mine who works with a famous surgeon told me the surgeon told him (I know! totally second hand) the reason for his success was that he insisted on living within a 15 minute walk to his office. He was able to work about an extra 1 1/2 - 2 hours a day, just because he was so close to home. Over two decades, with 220 work days a year, that is ... about 4 extra years of work, just from living close to his place of work. A friend of mine who is an incredible songwriter says that he obsessivly thinks about new lyrics and music, it's his default thoughts, the little narrative running through his mind at all times.
kianti
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by kianti »

Mike,
thanks for your feedback, I have the same feeling about ashtanga; I feel that the flowing style of ashtanga is matching very well the trend-following style. I haven't read Zen Archer yet but I have the feeling that the intense focus is more appropriate for day-trading.
It seems like you're mastering Pattabhi's philosophy: "practice, all is coming".
I also share the same feeling about time management.
I have also bought few days ago a very intersting book that you may enjoy.
The Luck Factor: The Scientific Study of the Lucky Mind
Richard Wiseman
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 78-2698038

namaste

P.S. If you happen to come to Firenze, I'm setting up an Ashtanga Studio.
Larry Schultz, featured above, will be here at the end of May. You may be interested in his "Rockets" series.
Dan G

Post by Dan G »

I think my Wife would love it if we could go to Italy and do some yoga! Alas, the kids....maybe next year.

Thanks!