GICS Global Sector Database Availability?

Discussions specific to trading the stock market.
CirclingKailas

GICS Global Sector Database Availability?

Post by CirclingKailas »

Hi everyone - God knows what S&P, MCSI, Reuters etal charge for this database. I am looking for a simple listing of global stocks, with their symbols, grouped into GICS sectors/industries. Just the names and the symbols, not any underlying data or subscription service. If anyone has this, or is aware of where I can purchase this reasonably, I would greatly appreciate it. This would be much easier than rooting through every global exchange trying to associate stocks with sectors. Yes - I am a individual investor without access to this service!!

Thanks
CirclingKailas
sluggo
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by sluggo »

I think you will first need to decide what you actually mean by "global stocks". Which parts of the globe are you happy to ignore? In particular, which stock exchanges are you happy to ignore?

As a futures trader, I happily ignore the exchanges in Israel, Turkey, Brazil, Hungary, Egypt, and scads of others. Shoot, I even ignore the New Zealand futures contracts, and they speak English at that exchange!. Maybe you have your own list (for stocks) of exchanges_to_ignore, as well.
rhc
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by rhc »

This may not be of much help to you, but this website gives you 2 out of the 3 items that you require (i.e. the listing of Global stocks[*] and the listing of the symbols). All downloadable.
Unfortunately no GICS data here, so might be useless to you.
Anyway, worth a try.
http://www.eoddata.com/symbols.aspx

[*] not really 100% Global stocks since some lesser known exchanges are not listed (see 'sluggo' comment above & image below)
Attachments
NYSE list.jpg
NYSE list.jpg (185.14 KiB) Viewed 6423 times
CirclingKailas

Post by CirclingKailas »

Wow - I am so impressed with the responsiveness on this site, versus other sites. Sluggo - i do have a list of the exchanges I want to follow! And RHC - thanks, that is a great resource that I can use, and in addition I want to group global stocks by sector classifications - I can do this via Yahoo Finance industry groups, but I have found a lot of mistakes in Yahoo, for example listing Verizon only on the London exchange!

Here are the exchanges I am interested in:
Bombay
India National
Australia
Toronto
Vancouver
Mexico
Euronext - e.g. Brussels, Amsterdam
London
Frankfurt
Buenos Aires
Singapore
Korea
Hong Kong
Borespa/Brazil
New Zealand
Borsa Italy
Xetra
China

Anyway - I can generate these manually but if there is a simple file of global stocks/symbols grouped by a commonly defined industry/sector classification, that would save a lot of hassle.

Thanks!
And Sluggo and RHC - I really value your entries on this site!