Trading Record Keeping Software

Use this forum to discuss data providers like CSI, charting, or other non testing software.
TrendsCatcher
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Trading Record Keeping Software

Post by TrendsCatcher »

Can someone recommend a good software (free or for-a-fee) for trades record keeping?

Preferably the software allows one to analyze P/L, Reward/Risk on individual trades (assuming I can input initial stop loss level), plot equity curve, and do all the standard metrics calculations etc. I trade mainly stocks and futures.

Basically I would like have a software that facilitates my trading record keeping and help me analyze my trades - I have been fine-tuning my Excel sheet, but I find it is just too time consuming. Currently I have zero experience with commercial software specialized in trades record keeping, and thus any suggestions are welcome!
rhc
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by rhc »

There is a not-for-free software product called 'Stator' which bills itself as the "new standard in portfolio management" and allows you to "manage all your trading and investment activities"
I don't use it , therefore I don't really know too much about it but it might be able to do what you want (i.e. P/L, risk per trade, other metrics)

They offer a free demo on their website & lots of other information
Check it out if you like.
http://www.stator-afm.com/index.html

There is also a Stator software review that you might like to read
http://www.stator-afm.com/support-files ... 01_yte.pdf
TrendsCatcher
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by TrendsCatcher »

Thanks for the recommendation, rhc! I just ordered a copy.
babelproofreader
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by babelproofreader »

I would recommend R. Since you already have a spreadsheet by default you also have CSV files that can easily be imported in to R. A series of R packages specifically for finance is outlined here
Last edited by babelproofreader on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rhc
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by rhc »

Trendcatcher, Hi,
After you've had a chance to use & become familiar with the Stator software perhaps you could post your thoughts on it.
I (and perhaps others) would be interested to hear your opinions.
TrendsCatcher
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by TrendsCatcher »

babelproofreader, thanks for your recommendation, I'll check that out as well, looks like there is some programming involved - I am not familiar with R, but learned programming in C, VB etc.

rhc, certainly will do. My initial impression so far: I haven't received the registration information yet, they said it takes 48 hours, I don't know why it takes so long. Also, based on the information on their website, it seems that each time I get a new computer I'll need to contact them again for a new registration code, it is quite unusual. I don't like to be dependent on them - while I wish them all the success, what if black swans struck and they are out, and I get a new computer (that I am sure)?!

I have only explored the Demo version as far, the full version (I ordered the top-of-the-line Pro version because only that version allows one to track futures trading) should suit my needs so far. I like their underlying concepts: Each owner can have multiple accounts and systems, and these can be consolidated into whatever combination I wish to do, very realistic for real-world trading. The program indeed seems to be built by traders for traders. I will update the forum once I experience it more...

Thanks again for your recommendation, without your suggestion, I'd have no clue where to start.
absret111

Post by absret111 »

Hi Trendcatcher,

please could you tell us if it is possible to import csv files? Or must every trade be typed?
Wisdom
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Wisdom »

We offer a platform to Futures Traders that provides better transparency than the reporting systems that the FCM's offer.

The AltegrisNet platform tracks instrument performance data, individual account performance, and portfolio performance for multiple trading accounts. Clients can track daily equity curves on individual instruments, specific accounts, or multiple accounts/managers.

This link will provide more information: http://www.altegris.com/altegris_tools_altegrisnet.aspx

If you have any questions please contact me directly.
TrendsCatcher
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by TrendsCatcher »

Hi, absret111:

I haven't done it yet. But according to the help file, it seems that yes:

"Stator allows you to import account transactions, open trades and closed trades into the Data Layer (database) from a csv (.csv) or text file (.txt). The data import screen is flexible enough to allow you to easily import your historical trades or account information into Stator"