NORGATE data

Use this forum to discuss data providers like CSI, charting, or other non testing software.
TrendsCatcher
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

NORGATE data

Post by TrendsCatcher »

Hi,

Anyone is using Norgate data? (Are they reliable, accurate, "complete" etc)

I am interested in two of their products.

1. EOD world futures data with extensive historical data going into the 70s
2. Historical database of delisted US equities from 1950

I am currently using Reuters Datalink EOD for MetaStock chart, I am not happy with them, because I cannot download the individual contracts of expired months, and ICE data (eg, US dollar index, cotton, coffee, sugar 11 etc) come in way way too late, so I can not scan the data for potential trades the next day.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated
TrendsCatcher
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by TrendsCatcher »

OK, since there is no reply, I went on to subscribe the service anyway. The service is actaully very good, simple to use, fast, and seems to be reseaonably reliable. I subscribed to 2 of their survices. 1. World futures 2. US stock historical data back to 1950.

Anyone here have any idea how/where to get listed/delisted hisotircal data for stocks before 1950, for futures before 1980?

Thanks.
Dymas
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by Dymas »

Hi TrendsCatcher,

I am trying to setup my Norgate futures data but do not really know how to do it. I wonder if you could help me?

Thanks!
rhc
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by rhc »

Read these FAQ's and see if your problem has an answer there.
http://www.premiumdata.net/support/datatools.php

If you get no satisfaction with the FAQ's why don't you contact the very helpful & friendly staff at Norgate with your specific concerns. I'm sure they will sort out any issue you may have.
support@premiumdata.net
Dymas
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by Dymas »

Thanks Tim, TrendsCatcher and rhc. I have managed to solve the problem... the problem lies in my own stupidity. :lol:
TrendsCatcher
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by TrendsCatcher »

Dymas, glad to hear that you have solved the issue by yourself. Their data service is very straightforward indeed and I haven't encountered any serious problem so far.
sunyata
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by sunyata »

TrendsCatcher wrote:Dymas, glad to hear that you have solved the issue by yourself. Their data service is very straightforward indeed and I haven't encountered any serious problem so far.
Hi Trendscatcher,

I am wondering if you still are satisfied with Norgate's product? I am looking into buying their historical data for futures and ForEx only.

Thanks!
TrendsCatcher
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by TrendsCatcher »

sunyata,

Yes, I am still using their data, including historical futures and stock data, and I haven't found any complaints so far.
sunyata
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by sunyata »

Thnx. 'preciate it.

:D :D
dfgse
Contributor
Contributor

Setting up Norgate Data

Post by dfgse »

I am trying to link up Norgate data to Trading Blox. I saw on the forum that trandcatcher had done this. I am new to this and cannot seem to make it work. Can you help? I purchased EOD US Stock data back to 1985 and also the Historical Forex Package and the Forex Update service for 12 months.
TrendsCatcher
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by TrendsCatcher »

Dear tokido:

I don't use Trading Blox (I am using MetaStock to view EOD data by Norgate). So I can't comment on how to link Norgate data to Trading Blox. Other more knowledgable memember may comment on on that.

Also, I'd suggest that you contact Norgate customer service directly, they are very responsive.
Last edited by TrendsCatcher on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
rhc
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by rhc »

Tokido, Hi,

You might like to look at this link below which details how to set up Trading Blox to 'work' with Norgate data
http://www.premiumdata.net/support/trading-blox.php

If you don't get your answer there, you might then like to send the Norgate people a message at;
support@premiumdata.net

I've found them to be very helpful with my queries and I see no reason why they should not be as helpful with yours

cheers,
kingami

Post by kingami »

I just switched from Pinnacle to Norgate and found that they are very easy to set up. I use both TradingBlox and AmiBroker and they have configuration file and script you can use directly to get everything straignt, a great time saver. Their support is very responsive as well (Richard Dale for me).
bigsky99
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by bigsky99 »

kingami... I've been thinking of giving Pinnacle a try. If you don't mind saying, how was your experience with them? Thanks.
kingami

Post by kingami »

Pinnacle data are fine. They seem to have longer historical data. Their continuous contracts are fixed date. It just takes a bit more time to get it set up for Trading Blox and AmiBroker. They don't provide the needed configuration files for TB or AB and their software looks antique (still DOS based!)

On the other hand Norgate is very easy to set up and cover more oversea markets. Overall I like them better.

I have not done any analysis for the quality of the actual data from both vendors and can not comment which is better on that aspect. Maybe other users can comment.
bigsky99
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by bigsky99 »

I'm now considering checking out Norgate data. Can anyone who has used their service please confirm or deny that Norgate (aka premium data) has the delivery month within the data and in a format that TB 'order generations' will have the contract specified and contract rolling reminders? Thanks!
Tim Arnold
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tim Arnold »

rhc
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by rhc »

From the Premium data website;
http://www.premiumdata.net/products/datatools/

Under the heading “Data Formatâ€
Attachments
GC2.jpg
GC2.jpg (48.07 KiB) Viewed 10667 times
bigsky99
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by bigsky99 »

Thanks Tim and RHC...

Yes, I have sifted through their site and have corresponded with them via email. Maybe I have just been eating too much Christmas candy lately, but his replies have been a little confusing. Is it just me?
While our continuous contract data does not specify which contract month the data comes from, we do provide all of the individual contract months in our data as well as the continuous contracts.

We do not actively use TradingBlox so we do not know it all that well.
So, I was hoping some Norgate or previous Norgate users on the forum might be able to shed some light on this. Thanks again...
TK
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by TK »

I used Norgate data in the past and found it to be clean and accurate. They provide individual months in the usual O,H,L,C,V,OI format and their software allows you to build your own continuous point-based back-adjusted data (and continuous non-adjusted, if you find it useful), also in the O,H,L,C,V,OI format. And no, you can't add any extra fields such as a delivery month or unadjusted close. Rollovers take place on fixed calendar dates; however, you can choose these rollover dates as well as the contract months that you follow. So for example, you can build a Crude Oil continuous data that uses only Feb, Apr, Jun, Aug, Oct, and Dec months with a rollover on the 11th day of the month prior to delivery. Or you can use all 12 months and roll over on the 9th. However, you can’t make volume or open-interest-based rollovers as CSI Data allows you to. I was very happy with the quality of their service. Hope that helps.