poll for character/temperament types

Discussions about personal psychology for the individual trader.

which type are you?

ISFJ
No votes
ISFP
1%
ISTJ
6%
ISTP
2%
INFJ
6%
INFP
4%
INTJ
42%
INTP
17%
ESFJ
No votes
ESFP
No votes
ESTJ
No votes
ESTP
No votes
ENFJ
3%
ENFP
1%
ENTJ
11%
ENTP
6%
INXP
1%

Total votes: 109

edward kim
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

poll for character/temperament types

Post by edward kim »

In case you didn't catch it on the other thread, c.f. put up some sample test sites (takes about 10 minutes):

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

http://www.oswego.edu/~shindler/plsi/taketest.htm

Edward

I had to delete the poll as of Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:21 am because of a mistake. If you voted earlier than this, please vote again. :shock:
redbullpeter
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by redbullpeter »

Funny how after 6.5 hours, five introverts and zero extroverts have responded to the polls...

For general interest on the occurrences of each type in the general population and other subsets, take a look at: The Matrix

red
d-g
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

FYI- the poll has now been consolidated into a single poll

Post by d-g »

FYI- the poll has now been consolidated into a single thread with all 16 options.

It is not necessary for anyone who has voted to re-vote.
damian
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by damian »

An interesting matrix. Nice one RedPB.

Frank Zappa was an INTP. It would have been fun trading with Frank.
d-g
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Site for more descriptive info on personality types

Post by d-g »

http://www.typelogic.com/

This site provides character summaries and descriptions of the personality types.
edward kim
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by edward kim »

redbullpeter wrote:For general interest on the occurrences of each type in the general population and other subsets, take a look at: The Matrix
I think it's interesting that this study estimated NFs make up 77.2% of Counselor Education Students, while NONE of the presidents were NFs~

Have two preferences so highly concentrated in one area, and the same two non-existent in another area is fascinating.

Edward
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

I find it interesting that 50% of 14 people who've responded thus far are INTJ's. According to The Matrix that redbullpeter posted and the Please Understand Me book, only 1% of the population fall under this category. I'm happy to learn that my tennis hero growing up, Arthur Ashe, also falls under this category.
redbullpeter
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by redbullpeter »

It's possible that INTJs are attracted to mechanical trading systems more than other types. But it is early days. Let's see what the poll says mid week from now.

What I find interesting is that it were the introverts who were first to respond to the poll. Maybe there are significantly more introverts on this board than there are extroverts. Let's give the poll sometime before we start applying statistical analysis.

red
Frank

Post by Frank »

I was an INTJ also....this means that INTJ individuals are attracted to trading mechanically ?
Sir G

Post by Sir G »

c.f.-

I'm sure the answer to this lies in your post from yesterday, but as you have been around some of the great traders our generation has produced... Without attaching names, what are the classifications you would guess those traders had?

Is there a difference between Long Term to Short Term traders?

Gordon
redbullpeter
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by redbullpeter »

Found this website on this weekends issue of the FT.

http://www.psychonomics.com/invbeh/prof ... ofile.html

Another poll?

red
NeueZiel
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by NeueZiel »

After taking that little tests from the link above.. I am a technical trader.

Yes Luke, it is your destiny....
Feel the Force Luke, feel the Force.....
damian
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by damian »

ooooh, a new quiz.

My "dominant investment characteristics are Technical and Informed and I have a medium propensity for risk"

I didn't think much of how they attempt to gauge risk inclination.
Sir G

Post by Sir G »

The Little Duck Ass

I recently received this photo and it has encouraged me to write this post.

I have always thought of the environments that we live in produces a Duck Ass effect and when I had read about Myers-Briggs it became apparent that the “Duck Assâ€
Attachments
What is in front of you??
What is in front of you??
Little Duck Ass.jpg (11.23 KiB) Viewed 35191 times
Nathan
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

lil duck

Post by Nathan »

Sir G,

I'm not really sure I know what you are trying to say. I would guess that most people realize that they learn from the previously accumulated knowledge of others, as well as by personal example. I am so not sure this equates to being a passive follower as you suggest. I don't think Independent thought requires that one think"new" thoughts.

I would also guess that most people using the Myers Briggs test realize it is an imperfect model, and as such use it as a springboard for their own reflection rather than as a decree to follow. I would guess that is almost certainly true of the people using it here.

If "everyone" is content to follow a duck ass as you suggest, technology and human knowledge would never progress, and people would not be able to apply previously accumulated knowledge to new situations or contexts. Sorry that this post is a tangent, but I felt the need to disagree. haha :) Nathan.
Sir G

Post by Sir G »

Hi Nathan-

Your signature line is a great one.

I have one word…. MACARANA.
Do you remember that hideous little dance a few years ago..? What was that all about?

How about….

Sergio Valente jeans… “Members onlyâ€
damian
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by damian »

I had a watershed (at least for my brain) realisation a few months ago. It suddenly hit me that if you ask lots of people what 'trend following trading' is all about, you get the same answer. Alternatively, open any book on trading and look up trend following, same and more of the same. This is not so bad as the answers you get contain vital keys to making money, and they work.... but how well? Soros inspired me "all human ideas are inherently flawed". Know the flaw = find your edge. So I took 'trend following' to task and started with the assumption that it was no better than the best of the worst ways to make money as a trader.

I felt that practitioners had become hypnotised by the definition of trend following, or more to the point, the application of that definition.

This could become a long story, so I will save most of it for another time, after all, this is not a discussion about my system. In short, I developed a LT trend following system that hands down beats any commercially available LT trend following system I have seen (*in backtesting*)

NOT - I have updated the paragraph that is quoted below.
Last edited by damian on Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
TK
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by TK »

Damian,
damian wrote:This could become a long story, so I will save most of it for another time, after all, this is not a discussion about my system. In short, I developed a system that hands down beats any commercially available trend following system I have seen.
Please, don't put it off. Tell us your story. Your last statement is so intriguing. :D
Nathan
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

point taken

Post by Nathan »

Sir G,

I agree with what you are saying in this second post. Weird ideas, fads, fashions, ect can spread through a population very quickly with little regard to their underlying merit. I learned about the idea of a Meme from victor niederhoffer's book. The term was originally coined by Richard Dawkins in his book "the selfish gene." The meme concept attempts to label the phenomenon of the way ideas seem to spread through a population like parasites. Interestingly enough, the concept of the "meme" itself spreads as a meme. Otherwise, I would never have heard of it. However, I think there is a real difference between active thought (when confronted with something new) and passive following. You are probably correct that passive following is more popular. However, I think this was the distinction I was trying to make when I "disagreed" with your original post. I thought you were making your case using overly "absolute" language.

I also agree that culture, surroundings, and experiences to varying degrees work to entrap a person's mind. Last semester I took an anthropology class, and in fact that was the number one lesson I took away from it. Outside of the requirements of bare survival, it appeared that much of human knowledge, custom, ect (perhaps even most) throughout history was arbitrary nonsense. (note: this is not what the teacher's message, but my thoughts on the material)

I think perhaps this attachment to the arbitrary rules or order of a particular place or era is one of the reasons change is so difficult for people to deal with. A sense of certainty makes concrete "here and now" decisions easier, so in that sense it does serve a useful purpose. I find this to be a very interesting topic.

People may begin to view their ideas or cultural artifacts not as artificial constructs, but as laws of nature. For example, (Bringing this back to trading) at the start of a huge trend the price seems too high. Everyone said Amazon was "too high" when its move was just getting started. Experts used culturally significant valuation methods to "prove" this was the case. It is only after the fact, after many others have paid many times that original "high" price, that the old price no longer looks high. It is now considered "low."

I have had several, perhaps many experiences where I realized my cherished beliefs were ridiculously wrong. I remember the first time I felt very threatened, but now in a perverse way I look forward to such experiences :idea:
MRIZVI
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MRIZVI »

Interesting questions in the test!

According to the test result I'm ISTJ (Introverted Sensing Thinking Judging).

Thanks for sharing it with us.
MR