Family... Siblings... and their relations to trading?

Discussions about personal psychology for the individual trader.
NeueZiel
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Family... Siblings... and their relations to trading?

Post by NeueZiel »

I for one is the only child in my family. So I was brought up in many ways to think for myself with a loner type of existence. In more ways than one, this have helped me in as a trader. I am just wondering how many of you folks are the only child in the family and does this help or hinder your process in trading?
Moritz Mechanicus
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by Moritz Mechanicus »

I am not the only child (though there is some difference in age) but as the youngest kid I prefered to be on my own (and quite frankly, I still do), so I guess the mindset is comparable. I am absolutely convinced that this affects many if not all the things I do (learning to trade, writing) in a very positive way.
A lot of people cannot do without constant company. To me this sounds like a form of torture - l'enfer, c'est les autres, as Sartre rightly observed - it is in quietude that I can think best and develop ideas, that creativity flows but this is very personal, of course. Others might be at their best during a 250 decibel AC/DC gig. :twisted:

However, what I do not like is complete silence. I need music, quiet music, but nonetheless. Perhaps the subject for a new thread?
verec
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by verec »

Moritz Mechanicus wrote:A lot of people cannot do without constant company. To me this sounds like a form of torture - l'enfer, c'est les autres, as Sartre rightly observed - it is in quietude that I can think best and develop ideas[...]
I can really relate to this, but I find it mildly amusing, that most of us "lonesome boys" have to vent in one forum or another, just as a proof that we do really exist ... 8)
BARLI
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

I don't think it's the way to live it

Post by BARLI »

Well, i also was pondering upon that, like verec said
verec wrote: can really relate to this, but I find it mildly amusing, that most of us "lonesome boys" have to vent in one forum or another, just as a proof that we do really exist ...
I disagree with verec. I really liked what Victor Sperandeo said in his final words in The New Market Wizards on page 275. just read it carefully and you'll understand from his own experience that there's much to life that just trading and doing backtesting :P