Charting Software Reviews and Opinions

Use this forum to discuss data providers like CSI, charting, or other non testing software.
adamant
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Charting Software Reviews and Opinions

Post by adamant »

I am trying to decide on a charting package for home use. At work I use Bloomberg, but I am looking for a more permanent solution for private use (I am aware of Bloomberg Anywhere, but I may change employers in the future and want to be prepared for the day when I need to pay my own way w /reg to software).

What is the best charting package for both intraday and EOD charting (not backtesting, I already have a great tool for that in TBB)?

Who offers the most advanced/widest variety of indicators and the opportunity to program your own? So far I have considered Esignal, Metastock and ProRealtime.

I would appreciate your feedback as always.
RedRock
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by RedRock »

Take a look at this offering from DTN. http://www.dtn.com/trading.cfm?sidenav= ... =pr_prophx

I had their dtniq service for years and was very pleased. This software ProphX probably offers more custom options... I just used the data feed and basic charting

DTN is often overlooked... and wrongly so.
sluggo
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by sluggo »

DTN doesn't make it easy to figure out what futures markets they cover. I found this snip on their site; if it's authoritative, it seems to indicate that they don't sell data for HKFE (the Hang Seng index), TSE (Nikkei index, TOPIX index, Japan Govt Bonds), SFE (Aussie bonds & bills, our old favorite Greasy Wool, SPI-200 index), OMX (Swedish stock index, Norwegian stock index), or TOCOM (Japanese energies, grains, softs). Not to mention MDEX and TIFFE and SICOM and MEFF and SAFEX and MIF.
Attachments
dtn_site.png
dtn_site.png (11.15 KiB) Viewed 4692 times
adamant
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by adamant »

Hmm. While it may be a great product, I would absolutely need data for the norwegian market (i.e OMX).
RedRock
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by RedRock »

Heres a page showing the markets they cover. When I had the service for many years, it covered my needs at the time. Quite reliable and reasonable. I agree though that if its ones goal to cover most every market, there are better choices to invest ones time in. Still, DTN has a long history and is a solid company and may well be a great match for some...

http://www.dtniq.com/template.cfm?navgr ... 323&view=1
adamant
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by adamant »

What are people's experiences with Multicharts, Neoticker and Esignal?

Right now it looks like I'll try out every platform for 30 days and then decide....the wisest course of action for sure, but somewhat time consuming.

How are the charting capabilitites of AmiBroker? Any thoughts?
jas-105
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by jas-105 »

If you want value for money then eSignal really is hard to beat.........it is not as refined as say CQG or Bloomberg , but for charts and prices in general it has the lot. The backtesting program is poor in comparison with TB but its fine for getting ideas through initial stages.
adamant
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by adamant »

Thanks

I have never used CQG but I ear it is fantastic, fast and reliable apparently. But too pricey to use as a small time private trader.
It looks like amibroker might offer what I need. Esignal seems like a good option too. I'll miss the bloomberg look though....(sigh).
AFJ Garner
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by AFJ Garner »

As I understand it, through long conversations with people not very familiar with their own product, neither e-Signal nor CQG give you much flexibility when backadjusting a long term time series.

While that may not matter a jam tart to the very short term trader, it is not very helpful to a position trader. Nor is it helpful to those looking to backtest. My memory of the discussions is now rather distant but I am not even sure if e-Signals adjusts for the gaps on a roll.