Traders Studio vs. Trading Blox

Questions and discussion of Trading Blox and other platforms for non Trading Blox customers. Trading Blox customers should use the Trading Blox Support forum.
MontyXto
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Traders Studio vs. Trading Blox

Post by MontyXto »

I'm interested in buying either TS or TBlox. I gravitate towards TB because of it's apparent ease of use. However, the blox builder is $3000 vs $500 for TS. After some due diligence it seems TS has all the features of Blox (and more) on perhaps a less user friendly/intuitive platform. TS "want to become the gold standard" (quote) of testing systems and "that's why" they offer it at a much lower price.
I'd be interested in first hand feedback, maybe there's someone here who's worked with both platforms extensively and can give unbiased advice?
RedRock
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by RedRock »

Bentley -vs.- Camero.
MontyXto
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by MontyXto »

Red Rock:
I presume the Blox is the Bentley :wink: ?

Are you speaking from experience, i.e. have you WORKED with both?
and if so, what in your opinion makes TB better?
RedRock
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by RedRock »

Hello MontyXto,

I am not an expert on ts. My only experience with it was as a customer of Aberration and other Tradesystem inc products, which were run on the TS platform in a feature limited sense. After the big Aberration drawdowns, and other of Keiths systems also hit the wall, such as I-Master, a letter was sent making available TStudio at a greatly reduced price. Is there a correlation between the decision to sell TS outright and the reduced performance of above mentioned systems? Or are the events unrelated and coincidence? I'm not privy to such information.

But in the sense that I have spent a few years punching the buttons on a system specific version of TS, I can make the following statement. The interface is much like an old DOS program. Text menus, limited graphics power. I can't speak about the programing language or its ease of use. Nor am I sure weather it can 100% accurately test the true Turtle system of Dennis and Eckhardt.

On the plus side, I can say the versions I used were stable and efficient for their limited intention.

In the past I have learned to test systems using Excel and VB, and also Easy Language. The limitation was always the ability to apply the design to a portfolio efficiently and on the fly. The current generation of new backtesting engines does make this possible. Whether that be Recipes, TS, TBB, W-lab, and others.

I chose TBlox. I am impressed with the credentials of the developer, and with the obvious passion applied to the evolution of the product, and its focused purpose. I began testing and trading some of the built in systems with some success. I was hesitant to learn yet another programing language and method. Over time I became drawn into the capabilities of TB and began learning to test all the ideas which had been bouncing around in my head. What I discovered was that the process was much less painful than I had feared. Much like an anticipated dentist visit....

I suppose one has to choose the platform they feel most at home with. Getting a sense of the software and the community which develops around it. The TB 'family' has been supportive and seems to mesh with my own way of thinking.

TB has brought my trading to a level of refinement and potential where I can say that if I cant make it here, I cant make it anywhere. I have been exposed to new ideas and ways of implementing old ideas which had not occurred to me... Perhaps other platforms could have yielded similar results. I cant say.

I chose TB also for its very elegant interface. This is a program you will (hopefully) be using for many years to come. Sometimes for hours at a time. Which interface would you rather live with on a day to day basis for years to come??

When viewed from a long term perspective, the difference in price is not as significant. If funds are limited, TB is offered in stages of ability at reduced costs. These versions, with the built in systems included and ability to manipulate their behaviors, will give you the ability to create systems you can bring your money to the market with. As time goes on and you have more funds, the upgrade to the full version will allow you to test all those ideas in your head. Many of which have been born from the experience gained from trading the built in versions. At that level you have pretty much learned what works in general. And are creating rules and approaches custom tailored to your own personality.

Whichever you choose, I wish you the best of luck :!:

rr
mike168
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by mike168 »

MontyXto
I have gone through your stage and have bought TBB/TBlox in the end. I am not very familiar with TS but would like to share my opinion:
1. The price difference: If you think you could not afford TBB, then forget it. If you think you could afford it, just bought it first, then adding TS if later you find TBB not meeting your requirement (the additional price of TS is trivial in this case).
2. I agree the support of TBB is excelent. It has also a big forum of users compared with TS.
3. The speed of TBB is faster compared with TS.
Forum Mgmnt
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Forum Mgmnt »

Trading Blox version 2.1 allows time series variables which can be plotted and accessed just like other indicators. You can create as many of these as you would like.

- Forum Mgmnt