How many TA indicators do you look at for analysis?

How do you know when a trend has started? Ended? This forum is for discussions about trend indicators and signals.
oem7110
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

How many TA indicators do you look at for analysis?

Post by oem7110 »

I already consider 4 points of views on analyzing market:
Price, Volume, Momentum and Trend

Does anyone have any suggestions on what TA is missing on analyzing market?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :>
tovetski

Post by tovetski »

Hi oem7110,

This is the latest best source of ideas I've come across recently.

Mr. Clenow offers a one month free trial to this gem of technical analysis for the futures markets.

Clenow Futures Intelligence

Mr. Clenow also has a great book on systematic trend following on futures.

Enjoy the reading, I highly recommend it.

Pierre
rajivm
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by rajivm »

tovetski wrote:Hi oem7110,

This is the latest best source of ideas I've come across recently.

Mr. Clenow offers a one month free trial to this gem of technical analysis for the futures markets.

Clenow Futures Intelligence

Mr. Clenow also has a great book on systematic trend following on futures.

Enjoy the reading, I highly recommend it.

Pierre
Hasn't Trendfollowing already been proven to be a very bad method for trading markets!!!!
tovetski

Post by tovetski »

Hi rajivm,

I believe my reply was providing a useful source of information. That being said, I admit that it is highly tilted towards trend following.

I do believe that trend following is currently facing a difficult environment, facts are facts, but I have yet to conclude that it stopped working altogether.

To keep this discussion constructive, how about you follow up with some concrete "proof" that trend following has indeed stopped working. I'd be interested in such a demonstration.

Looking forward to your reply,

Pierre
rajivm
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by rajivm »

tovetski wrote:Hi rajivm,

I believe my reply was providing a useful source of information. That being said, I admit that it is highly tilted towards trend following.

I do believe that trend following is currently facing a difficult environment, facts are facts, but I have yet to conclude that it stopped working altogether.

To keep this discussion constructive, how about you follow up with some concrete "proof" that trend following has indeed stopped working. I'd be interested in such a demonstration.

Looking forward to your reply,

Pierre
Hello Pierre,
I am not saying that is stopped working. All I am saying that is bad method for most Traders.
Reasons --
1. Returns are Low while drawdowns are high( Even backtested results have CAGR below 100% while drawdowns of most trendfollowing systems will typicially cross 30%. And realtime results are mostly worse than backtested results.)
2. Duration of time passed between 2 equity highs is very large. It maybe 1 year or maybe 3 years before I see a new equity high. How will I sleep not knowing if at all next new high will arrive
That said - Most Famous Traders Sell strength and Buy weakness.
Look at Buffet, Jim Rogers, Soros. Their Long term success tells us something.
oem7110
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by oem7110 »

I would like to know more on how many TA's aspects are used on analyzing the market, which should tell whether the market is Trend or Range.

In general, Moving average is Trend indicator, MACD is momentum indicator.
If both are based on 26 days, is there any difference between Moving Average (26 days) and MACD (12, 26, 9)?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions :>