Sharpe > 2.0?

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
Macro
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Sharpe > 2.0?

Post by Macro »

Is it possible to build a medium to long term trend following strategy with a sharpe ratio > 2.0, or is this simply unheard of? I'm aware of the pitfalls of the sharpe ratio when concerning divergent strategies, however I'm curious. I think it would be possible, but one would have to blend it with shorter term pattern recognition and mean reversion strategies.
Last edited by Macro on Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
wguan
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by wguan »

you may be interested in the following graph from BlackStar. TF is great for shock absorption in a portfolio, but by itself, I think its tough to get sharpe of >1 consistently.
Attachments
cta-sharpe.jpg
cta-sharpe.jpg (214.68 KiB) Viewed 5480 times
BuyHigh SellLow
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by BuyHigh SellLow »

ed thorp says sharpe = 1 is as good as it gets.
Aaron01
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Aaron01 »

What is the reason you are seeking to get a Sharpe > 2.0, or is this just a hypothetical?
Macro
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by Macro »

Curiosity, really. Most academics as well as practitioners in the industry generally place primacy on the Sharpe ratio over any other measure, hence I thought it would be wise to appease the powers that be. However, wguan's chart of Sharpe convergence helped put a lot of things in perspective.
sluggo
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by sluggo »

Where have all the (>1 Sharpe Ratios) gone? As written here in Dec 2009*,
Here are some of the places they've gone
  1. Made tons of money, retired, closed their fund (cf. Monroe Trout)
  2. Closed fund to new investors, stopped reporting performance to database providers (cf. E. Thorp)
  3. Never reported performance to database providers in the first place (cf. Renaissance Medallion)
The guy who made the graph knew this. That's why he carefully put the qualifier "Actively Reporting" in the title of the graph. [/size]

* A fun exercise: see how quickly you can find the original. Google Advanced Search lets you Find Pages With This Exact Phrase.

Original graph from original source in 2009:
http://www.mebanefaber.com/2009/12/03/w ... dium=email
ecritt
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by ecritt »

Sluggo,

You offer 3 examples of programs that enjoyed sharpe ratios greater than 1.0, but are not included in the sample used for the chart. I would counter with the suggestion that there are probably hundreds, perhaps thousands of programs that suffered sharpe ratios well below 1.0, perhaps even negative, that are not included in the sample. In other words, despite your observation, the sample is still probably too optimistic.