Newbie question about equity

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
zmorris
Contributor
Contributor

Newbie question about equity

Post by zmorris »

Hi,

I've just started using the TB trial and I'm trying to set it so I start with $10,000 equity, and I want to trade stocks only, so long trades with closed equity. I set the starting date for today and click generate orders and it brings up all the orders under for the system that it would enter. But on adding up all the position sizes (qty * entry price), it's always above $10,000 (my starting equity).

I've read the help file, and fooled around with the settings but can't get it right (it blows out to $38,000!). Can anyone point me in the right direction? Would I have to write my own blok?

I would've posted this in the newbie forum but it's locked for me.

Thanks for any help,
Luke
Tim Arnold
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tim Arnold »

By default the system is only checking available equity as the orders are placed and it does not know hoe many of the orders or which ones will be filled. There is an optional block that checks the equity again as the orders are filled and rejects all new entry orders once the available cash is used. Try adding the Margin Equity Risk Manager block to the system and see if that helps.