Mac and CSI Data

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
jgh2020

Mac and CSI Data

Post by jgh2020 »

I am currently in the process of converting both laptop and desktop over to Mac. CSI Data tells me that UA may run on Windows 7 supported by Mac with a dual processor. Any tips or software that will allow my conversion to use CSI Data/Ua along with Blox? Thanks. (or should I hang on to my older PC laptop for ease.)
leslie
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by leslie »

..."may run on a Mac" is correct. :-)

More precisely any version of windows runs more reliably on a Mac with either VMware or Parallels then on raw hardware.

See my previous post comparing VirtualBox, VMware, Parallels.

Another popular choice at universities is CentOS with KVM. A single MacPro can service up to about 100 MS/Window guests.

Operating System Choices:
Avoid Windows 7 unless you really need it.
Win7 is bloatware.
Win7 has SERIOUS licensing annoyances.
Basically, you are not allowed to move, delete or reconfigure Win7.
Win7 detects the number of virtual CPU assignments, virtual devices, and disables your Windows account in case you bump your CPUs from 2 to 4 or change from SATA to virtual SCSI drivers, etc. Not nice!

The whole idea of a Virtual Appliance is to use them and trash them and to clone new ones. Use WindowsXP SP3.

XP lacks anti-cloning features, so you can clone and trash as many copies of fully configured machines that you may so desire. :-)

L