Showing your entry parameters

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
CyTrend
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Showing your entry parameters

Post by CyTrend »

Hello is it possible to indicate on a graph your parameters you are using to formulate your entry signal. For instance i am using peaks and troughs to be used as my entry parameters is there a way they can be marked on the graph. This is the function i am using

Peak2value=swinghigh(instrument.high,2,post,prior,swingLookBackBars)

Tx
Eventhorizon
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Eventhorizon »

I think using the term "parameters" in the TBB context can be confusing - the term is the same as that used for the variables that are set by a user for a given test. The following assumes you mean "indicators".

The best way to show "intermittant" indicators (i.e. those whose values are associated with a particular sub-set of bars on a chart) is to use the small or large dot indicators.

Here's the problem for your particular situation - you do not know until "post" bars have elapsed that the bar "post" bars ago was a swing high or low. As far as I know you cannot go back and add an indicator to a bar in the past, you can only display an indicator at the current bar (or one forward if you use the "Offset Plot Ahead One Bar" option to set an indicator for "tomorrow").

So I think the best you can do is to simply plot Peak2value once it has been identified - it will appear as a series of stepped lines. Each line will start "post" bars after the actual swing high.

If you only want it to print for certain periods (maybe you want to "cancel" the swing high indicator after the swing high has been exceeded, even though a new swing high is yet to be established) you would use the small dot indicator and set its value UNDEFINED or swinghigh depending if you want it displayed at that particular time or not.

Hope this helps.