Looking at path of trade

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
CyTrend
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Looking at path of trade

Post by CyTrend »

Hello, was wondering how people go about evaluating the success of their entry signals any ideas or prior posts welcome. I am also trying to create a metric my self which is below

If the trade is exited within the first 10-15days it is counted as a looser
Then look at remaining trades (winning trades) and calculate the max favorobale excursion.

Then basically do a ratio or maxfavourableexcursion * winningtrades/ Stopouttrades* exit price.

I don't seem to be able to figure out how to distinguish between the loosing and winning trades if someone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Tx
sluggo
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by sluggo »

Chuck LeBeau's & David Lucas's book (ref) suggests one way to evaluate the goodness of trade entries, apart from exits, on pp. 171-172. Personally I don't find it especially valuable, because for me it replaces one question
  • Which of these eight different entry methods is best?
with another question
  • What number-of-days shall I use to evaluate my LeBeau and Lucas test results?
Fortunately, you are not me; programming the test they suggest, gathering the results, and analyzing them yourself might bring YOU incredible insights. I hope so.

Fire up your favorite search engine and hunt for the Trader's Roundtable message which contains this line:
TENTATIVE CONCLUSION: Textbook entry signals are non-negligible contributors towards system overall profits. Even with random exits, good entry signals can make money.
The thread which contains that post, may give you some more ideas.
Attachments
LeBeau_172.jpg
LeBeau_172.jpg (235.43 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
Jez Liberty
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Jez Liberty »

I am not familiar with the method from LeBeau's book but you could also use the e-ratio discussed by Curtis Faith in Way of the Turtle on page 65.
You might also have the same issue as sluggo highlights as the e-ratio is calculated for a specific day - although you can calculate/chart it for a range of days.

If you have access to the Blox marketplace, you can search there, I believe there is an (old?) implementation of if in TB.
Jez Liberty
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Jez Liberty »

thanks sluggo, I saw that you just added the reference to the LeBeau's method (or did I just missed it before I replied?..) - which seems to have similar principles to the e-ratio calc