Tradestation and Rina

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
danZman
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Tradestation and Rina

Post by danZman »

[MOD: Split from post viewtopic.php?t=7945]

I have a feeling that trading will always be work and that the markets will never just roll over and let one make money.

As an aside, I noticed that Tradestation bought out Rina in August. Portfolio backtesting for the masses is coming soon.

Aside #2. I always over-estimated the number of traders using systems. "Masses" is not the correct term. Tradestation only has about 50,000 users.

Aside #3. TS bought out Rina for $5 million (or at least the testing software). I think our niche is pretty darn small.
LeapFrog
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by LeapFrog »

danZman wrote:I have a feeling that trading will always be work and that the markets will never just roll over and let one make money.

As an aside, I noticed that Tradestation bought out Rina in August. Portfolio backtesting for the masses is coming soon.

Aside #2. I always over-estimated the number of traders using systems. "Masses" is not the correct term. Tradestation only has about 50,000 users.

Aside #3. TS bought out Rina for $5 million (or at least the testing software). I think our niche is pretty darn small.
I still use TradeStation for my charting (100's of charts) and used to use their horrible brokerage services (still occasionally do). I also used to frequent their forum years ago. My impression, and I could be wrong, is that there are NO institutional traders at TradeStation and that almost ALL their clients are day trader oriented. There might be a few position traders that trade individual markets, but barely, if any, portfolio traders, individual or institutional.

I don't know how they get themselves ranked as the #1 Institutional platform in the magazines.

My impression of the "universe of independent full time portfolio traders" is darn small indeed. I'd be surprised if it were more than one or two thousand worldwide. But I could be wrong.
danZman
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by danZman »

LeapFrog wrote:
danZman wrote:I have a feeling that trading will always be work and that the markets will never just roll over and let one make money.

I still use TradeStation for my charting (100's of charts) and used to use their horrible brokerage services (still occasionally do). I also used to frequent their forum years ago. My impression, and I could be wrong, is that there are NO institutional traders at TradeStation and that almost ALL their clients are day trader oriented. There might be a few position traders that trade individual markets, but barely, if any, portfolio traders, individual or institutional.

I don't know how they get themselves ranked as the #1 Institutional platform in the magazines.

My impression of the "universe of independent full time portfolio traders" is darn small indeed. I'd be surprised if it were more than one or two thousand worldwide. But I could be wrong.
Horrible? Not sure why, although during the flash crash, I noticed they were unusable. There was a five minute delay.

#1 institutional? Never noticed that. They are high frequency oriented for sure.

You can actually get some good prices on commish if you talk to the right people. I was offered 1 cent for CME products during my HFT days. But you need to lease or buy a seat for really great fees. Retail trader -> Fail.
Tim Arnold
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tim Arnold »

Portfolio backtesting for the masses is coming soon.
Well, they use a different definition of 'portfolio backtesting' than I would use. I don't think testing each market separately and then stitching the results together afterwards qualifies as portfolio backtesting.