Enter/Exit on Retracement

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
LeviF
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Enter/Exit on Retracement

Post by LeviF »

Does anyone here trade a LTTF system with entries/exits on retracements?
rgd
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by rgd »

In my program, I trade 3 LTTF systems, of which 1 buys a retracement. However, it has the lowest sharpe ratio as well but it performs well when the others are not.
Adrian77

Post by Adrian77 »

I have a few LTTF systems - one based on traditional breakout entries, one on volatility breakouts and one on a retracement. The retracement based system only enters after some evidence of a short term resumption in the main trend, but it certainly doesn't require a new 20 day high to enter. Similar to RGD, I find that the diffferent entries perform well at different times and simulation (and real time trading) produces a smoother equity curve using all systems.

Note: While the different entry signals produce some good diversification value if used with the same exit rules, I have found results are much better by using different stops and exit rules as well as the ddifferent entry.

I have also played around with exits on retracements after the main trend has turned against you...eg. if long and the long term (250day?) moving average turns down, exit on the next 10 day high. This has the obvious risk that there is not a 10 day high if the market drops like a stone, so I abandoned (perhaps prematurely?) the idea based on this issue.