Has anyone tried "MetaServer RT" with IB data on T

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
PTCM
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by PTCM »

mike168 wrote:PTCM
No. I have not tried esignal. Please keep us informed of your findings.

I will post the solution here once I have it.

Regarding the tq.net datafeed, I am testing it out this week. I notice that sometimes the TQM would stop feeding data into GlobalServer and retstart itself after X amount of time.

Do you know if there's any tricks that I could do in order to keep it running consistently during Hang Seng trading hours?
mike168
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by mike168 »

I use broadband cable internet and the TQM program has never restarted itself during the past years. Do you mean the program itself restarted or you notice the data-feed restart from the TQM status window? What type of internet connection are you using? Have you resolved the "reset tick" issue in Global Server sessions?
PTCM
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by PTCM »

Normally, I see the quotes moving from left to right on the TQM.(data manager for tq.net)

From time to time, the quotes competely stopped and nothing goes into my GlobalSever for no reason. I don't know why.

I'm not sure why you're able to uncheck the "reset" button. My TradeStatation 2000i verion is 5.00.0822. Is yours the newer version ?

I spoke with the disgrutled and arrognant technical support at eSignal last night at California, they didn't offer much help. They just blame TradeStation's GlobalServer.

But I believe I found out what happened.
Basically, there are two reasons that they don't work

1) GMT Time
2) GlobalSever is not able to recognize eSignal's stupid symbol for Hang Seng, which is 10 digit long

There are only 2 data vendors in the world that supports 2000i with HKFE data.

eSingal = $US144 / month
tq.net = $77 / month

do you know if there are others ?

I know a lot of traders in London now have switched to IB's TWS + MetaServer. It's only US$10 / month. That's cheapest solution.

However, MetaServer is crap in terms of tech support, and their software has only been around for 1 year. I don't trust them.

The DDE + MetaServer solution has become increasingly popular for Bloomberg users over the last 6 month......

I also called TradeStation last night and found out that they purposely disabled the 3rd party real-time datafeed function on the 8.1 version. what a disgrace...
mike168
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by mike168 »

The instantaneous stopping of quote may be due to the nature of the internet - data get congested and do not arrive in sequence in real time or a bottleneck developed at the gateways.
I am using TS 5.00.0771
I have bought several Traderssoft (Metaserver developer) products. My impression with them is they are reliable and inexpensive (as oppose to cheap). However, they very much don't have any documentation and stuff that the other expensive software has. If you really want esignal you could try Traderssoft's Ondemand server and ask them how to set up esignal with HSI data and see what they say.
PTCM
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by PTCM »

mike168 wrote:The instantaneous stopping of quote may be due to the nature of the internet - data get congested and do not arrive in sequence in real time or a bottleneck developed at the gateways.
I am using TS 5.00.0771
I have bought several Traderssoft (Metaserver developer) products. My impression with them is they are reliable and inexpensive (as oppose to cheap). However, they very much don't have any documentation and stuff that the other expensive software has. If you really want esignal you could try Traderssoft's Ondemand server and ask them how to set up esignal with HSI data and see what they say.
eSignal doesn't require any convertor at all. It goes directly into global server.

which datafeed did you use the Metaserver with ? IB's TWS ? or ?

I've tried MetaServer with IB's TWS, but couldn't get it to work...
mike168
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by mike168 »

You said eSignal has not work with HKFE data fro TS2000i. Try ask Traderssoft how to use Ondemand server to work with both of them because their software say they work.
It was a few years beck when I used the trial version of Metaserver. I think I used it with Bridge data and IB but I could not remember the details, just that it was not as good as TQM. Sometimes the quote stop and unless you are in front of the PC and watch it carefully, you won't notice - and a gap in intraday data render the whole series useless and you have to collect and accumulate data from that date onwards. If you are serious about intraday trading, you must invest in the best data and fastest technology affordable.
PTCM
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by PTCM »

mike168 wrote:You said eSignal has not work with HKFE data fro TS2000i. Try ask Traderssoft how to use Ondemand server to work with both of them because their software say they work.
It was a few years beck when I used the trial version of Metaserver. I think I used it with Bridge data and IB but I could not remember the details, just that it was not as good as TQM. Sometimes the quote stop and unless you are in front of the PC and watch it carefully, you won't notice - and a gap in intraday data render the whole series useless and you have to collect and accumulate data from that date onwards. If you are serious about intraday trading, you must invest in the best data and fastest technology affordable.
I've been able to get the eSingal Hang Seng data into GlobalServer and have it ploted on a workspace.

I left the system on purposely last night, but this moring I notice that the the status of the Hang Seng symbol is "disconnected." I am not sure if it was becasue eSignal has enable some kind of auto log off function.

now I need to modify my tradestation codes in such a way that works even if I lose yesterday's data on the workspace.

Just curious to know if you have implemented the sound files feature for your real-time Hang Seng signal.

I found a wave file from eSignal that says..

"SP 500. Program trade. BUY Level One"

buy this is too short, if I am not at my desk, the signal will be missed.

do you know if it's possible for EasyLanguage to trigger this sound file repeatedly until someone disable it ?
mike168
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by mike168 »

No. I have not try to implement sound files. I guess if you need notification you may want to look into the email/sms notification feature for TS2000i, particularly the mobile air time in HK is so cheap.
PTCM
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

an unintended signal was triggered at the LAST BAR(5-min) of

Post by PTCM »

mike168 wrote:No. I have not try to implement sound files. I guess if you need notification you may want to look into the email/sms notification feature for TS2000i, particularly the mobile air time in HK is so cheap.
Mike,

Today I had my signals succsesfully generated from the real-time eSignal datafeed connection. But for some reasons, an unintended signal was triggered at the LAST BAR(5-min) of the first day of my forward testing.

Have you seen this kind of problem before ?

I've tried to change the "Max no. of bars study will reference" to a higher number. It seems to work, but when it's 1, that signal starts showing up again.

Does anyone know why ?
mike168
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by mike168 »

I am not sure what you are saying. Perhaps you could post some screen shots to clarify?