Free Testing of Basic System in Excel

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
Bloemies
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Free Testing of Basic System in Excel

Post by Bloemies »

Hi All,

I have recently joined a long/short equity hedge fund in South Africa, and have been trying to convince the fund managers to allow me to trade a mechanical system.

I have a basic system that I want to test, but don't have any programming experience. My data is in excel, and basically just want to apply EMA, RSI, MACD etc. filters to my data set.

My expectation is to buy a comprehensive testing system (at the moment thinking VT2.0), but before going that far I just need to show some proof to the guys here before they'll allow me to pursue system trading on a full time basis.

For the moment I just need to test my basic system and was hoping that there are free demo's that don't require programming skills to allow me to do this. If so, can someone please provide me with more detail on this.

Many Thanks,
Bloemies
sluggo
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by sluggo »

A trendfollowing system called Pretty Good Oscillator (abbreviated PGO) was implemented in Excel and posted as an attachment on this Roundtable website. Maybe the Search page can find it. Who knows whether it will be profitable on your equities test? Perhaps it won't be. But at least it is free.