Cointegration vs correlation

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
futurestrader111

Cointegration vs correlation

Post by futurestrader111 »

I've heard it said that "cointegration" analysis has replaced correlation analysis in many financial communities.

Does somebody have a clear and concise argument for the switch?

How about a software package that does this??

Thanks in advance

FT
Dan G

Post by Dan G »

I don't, but the Wilmott forums do.

try Wilmott in google and sign up for the forums, its a quantative finance website.

In 'The Quantitative finance project FAQs' thread there is a short description of cointegration

[/url]
Kiwi
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Kiwi »

Do a google on cointegration and financial.

A definition can be found at http://economics.about.com/library/glos ... ration.htm and I would reproduce it if I understood it. :lol:
sluggo
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by sluggo »

Paul Wilmott didn't think "cointegration" was important enough to include in his book http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 471498629/

Cointegration seems to be a binary indicator: a vector of time series are cointegrated, or they aren't. It doesn't sound all that useful to me but then I'm a practitioner not an academic.
ksberg
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Related?

Post by ksberg »

One can google around and find a number of interesting papers, most of them econometric, and many of them directly related to markets (e.g. currencies, metals, interest rates, ags). The CATS and RATS software pops up in a number of papers and places, as do some other implementations and algorithms. The most accessible application seems to be building non-cointegrated portfolios (in comparison to non-correlated portfolios). I also found a few cautionary findings that some of the cointegration algorithms can fail to either establish cointegration when it exists, or mis-identify cases where it doesn't. I don't know enough about the field to discern the issues.

What I did find interesting is that a number of other trading ideas seem to pursue similar paths of differencing a price series and factoring for noise. (the focus of cointegration is on the consistency of residuals, or shape of noise as a result of the differences). For instance, a 2004 TASC article looked at trend identification using Q and B vectors. In particular, it seemed to do an excellent job to me of identifying the end of a trend (I thought it lagged to much at detecting onset of trend). So, that might be another application.

Cheers,

Kevin