Applying Creative Diversification to one's benefit

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
Sir G

Applying Creative Diversification to one's benefit

Post by Sir G »

How many things can we break apart and put back together again, but in a different way that might help one improve his Trading?

Did everyone see "My Big Fat Greek Wedding?" Do you recall the bride’s father would say that "Every word comes from the Greek Language." Then he would ask for an English word and he would come up with some kind of connection with a Greek Word.

Let's list everything we can think of and see if we can then come up with a way to apply diversification to it.

Sir G
forex_kid

Timing and sizing of account additions/withdrawls?

Post by forex_kid »

As a newbie in the world of mechanical trading :? I'm really intrigued by the potential of applying some sort of logic to the timing/sizing of additions of more cash to my trading account from my savings that I keep in reserve.

Is this the type of construct that you mean? Could you trade multiple sub-accounts accross multiple markets, and appy some sort of logic to the diversifying of the timing of when and how to trade the equity curve of each sub-account?

-Cheers,

Morgan
AFJ Garner
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Diversification through non-correlation.

Post by AFJ Garner »

I am not sure that I am posting this note on the most appropriate thread but here goes.

On page 93 of Robert Pardo’s excellent book Design, Testing, and Optimisation of Trading Systems he has the following advice to give on correlation and choice of a basket to test and trade:

“Selecting the Basket
If the correlation coefficient is +1, they (the futures contracts) are perfectly correlated and should be rejected. If the coefficient is negative, they are inversely correlated and should be included.â€
Ted Annemann
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Ted Annemann »

Speaking of CSI, they give away a bunch of correlation numbers for free on this web page
http://www.csidata.com/uawebcharts/Mark ... esCorr.htm

As you would expect, T-Bill futures and FedFunds futures have an amazingly high, positive correlation coefficient: +0.9909. If you're long TB and short FF, you're almost perfectly hedged. On the other hand, US Dollar Index and Australian Dollar have a large negative correlation coefficient: -0.887. In this case, if you're long DX and also long AD, then you're very well hedged.