Multiplier in Stock Preferences

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
ngranja

Multiplier in Stock Preferences

Post by ngranja »

Hello,

I am creating an ETF portfolio using CSI UA data, the User's guide says that they use 100 as a standard so I should set the stock multiplier to 100. However when I downloaded the Stock Dictionary, this one says that the round lot is 1. Are they two different things? What should I do? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Jake Carriker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jake Carriker »

I am not sure what the multiplier you are referring to in UA is. The round lot field in the stock dictionary dictates the size of a minimum quantity to trade. You would set it to 100 if you only want to trade 100 or 200 shares at a time, and not 1 or 50 shares at a time. It is typically set to 1. ETFs are usually quoted just like stocks, so you shouldn't have to set them up any differently.
ngranja

Post by ngranja »

Thank you for the answer. The multiplier I am referring to is the Stock Multiplier in Trading Blox references. In the manual it is said that if we are using CSI we should set it at 100. That is what I am talking about. I am confused because I don't understand what you would need a multiplier for.
Jake Carriker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jake Carriker »

Are you referring to the volume multiplier? The help guide says this about it:
Volume Multiplier

Be sure to set the Volume Multiplier in preferences. So if your stock data reports a volume of 1,000, we can translate that into 100,000. This is the way CSI reports the data. If your data provider uses some other multiplier, or reports the actual data, you would want to use a different setting in preferences. The default is 100.

The volume is used by Trading Blox to check Minimum Volume and Maximum Percent Volume Per Trade, both global variables.
CSI reports the volume as true volume divided by 100. In order to get true volume in Trading Blox when this is the case, we multiply reported volume by 100 to convert it back to true volume.