Suspicious data

General discussions about futures.
sluggo
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Suspicious data

Post by sluggo »

Heck of a day in Cocoa today. The EOD data checker reported "Suspicious daily low" but an intraday chart suggests it might be real. Wowzer.
Attachments
intraday
intraday
5_minute_chart.png (16.69 KiB) Viewed 19243 times
EOD
EOD
sdl.png (7.22 KiB) Viewed 19243 times
kianti
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by kianti »

Also on CQG
Attachments
cc.png
cc.png (20.06 KiB) Viewed 19229 times
Jez Liberty
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Jez Liberty »

Cococa was recently in the news with Anthony "Choc Finger" Ward buying a bulk load of cocoa beans...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... trade.html

Could it be his footprints? (you'd think it would not try to offload it all or a big part inside a 5-min bar though)...
sluggo
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by sluggo »

An abnormally tall bar in Sydney 90 day Bank Bills this morning, but intraday chart suggests it's probably not erroneous.
Attachments
30 minute bars
30 minute bars
chart_30.png (16.83 KiB) Viewed 19094 times
daily bars
daily bars
yba_daily.png (7.51 KiB) Viewed 19094 times
zacharyoxman
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by zacharyoxman »

New Zealand Bank Bills has frequent daily bar issues as well, may want to keep an eye out on that one if you trade it.
sluggo
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by sluggo »

"Abnormally Tall Bar" today in March Sugar -- looks real
Attachments
intraday data
intraday data
5min.png (14.46 KiB) Viewed 18631 times
daily data
daily data
eod.png (10.38 KiB) Viewed 18631 times
RedRock
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by RedRock »

happy holidays
cordura21
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by cordura21 »

I think it was real, and the lower prices attracted a lot of volume.

Happy new year.
Attachments
20101230 sugar.png
20101230 sugar.png (44.72 KiB) Viewed 18593 times
Eventhorizon
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Eventhorizon »

Cordura21

That's an interesting chart. Which service provided it - or do you roll your own?

I am curious as to the data used to construct the chart.

I assume the histograms represent the cumulative trades that executed at a given price divided into those that went at the bid and those at the ask. But what does the smaller "mid" category mean? Do you know the mechanics of a trade being counted as "mid" - does it simply mean that the bid = ask and thus the trade cleared?

Finally, how does the gray line related to the VWAP, how is it constructed? The chart makes it look as though there is some relationship between them - is it supposed to be a confidence interval around the estimated average price?

Thaks in advance!
cordura21
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by cordura21 »

The chart is from Bloomberg. I am pretty sure that you can roll your own with something like eSignal, Tradestation, and I am 90% sure I saw it on the free Quotetracker, at least for stocks, and in Stockcharts.com.

The bars count the amount of contracts (y axis) traded at the days' prices (x axis). You can also see number of trades instead of number of contracts.

The mid price category means, according to Bloomberg, those trades executed in between the best bid and offer at the time. I told them that I thought you could only trade at the bid and the offer, they said "there are many was to trade the markets these days, sir. Is there anything else I can assist you with?" So I'll further investigate unless somebody in the forum knows better (mainly everybody).

The gray line shows the theoretical normal distribution of prices, given the vwap and the stdev. I wonder if the stdev is also volume weighted or not.

I think it looks like those "delta charts" turned sideways. I find it pretty neat. Do you think there's a way to get money out of these things? :wink:

Cheers, Cord
Eventhorizon
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Eventhorizon »

Thanks Cordura,

Typical delphic response from Bloomberg.

As for whether there is money to be made from Price-volume charts, I don't know except to say that IF the volume data contains information THEN one ought to be able to exploit it!

I remember a chap named Steve Woods who invented (or at least promoted "Float Turnover Analysis"). The concept was that you measure time for a given stock in terms of the share float and daily volume. Basically you create a price channel whose duration was such that the sum of the daily volume equalled the float. The longer the price action stayed within the price channel (i.e. the lower bound started to rise while the upper bound started to fall) the more significant a break out of the channel. He would use price-volume charts for the action within the channel to determine congestion areas and support / resistance. A quick Google turned up loads of lonks so I guess the system is still out there.
drm7
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by drm7 »

@Eventhorizon: Google "market profile" for information about trading this type of information.

Looks like Cocoa took out all the Turtles who had stops at the 10-day low on September 30th. Poor guys!
cordura21
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by cordura21 »

I don't know if you read this old stuff about Eckhardt:
http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthrea ... genumber=1
He said they only use price, they don't use summary stats like moving averages, and that things like breakout levels take into account just two pie es of data, ignoring the "structure" that lies in between them.
Maybe he uses the kind of ideas these graphics represent but in the trend following timeframe. I guess he just concentrates on price clustering instead of using volume?
A casual observation about price clustering and level "stickiness" seems reasonable. What do you think about it?
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by 7432 »

cordura21 wrote: I told them that I thought you could only trade at the bid and the offer, they said "there are many was to trade the markets these days, sir. Is there anything else I can assist you with?" So I'll further investigate unless somebody in the forum knows better (mainly everybody).

Cheers, Cord
the bloomberg person might have been refering to block trades.
for ICE
https://www.theice.com/publicdocs/futur ... de_FAQ.pdf
sluggo
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

I don't think SGX Nifty closed at Zero

Post by sluggo »

CSI is saying the Nifty stock index futures closed at zero on Wednesday. I think that's probably wrong.
Attachments
Nifty_SGX.png
Nifty_SGX.png (30.78 KiB) Viewed 18228 times
RedRock
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by RedRock »

closed at 0.. the end is here good news, you were short.... bad news, it doesn't matter ha (snowing again, cabin fever talking)
Chris67
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Chris67 »

I have reported this to CSI Data
They said they would fix the problem - this was a few hours ago
Problem still there mind
C
cordura21
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by cordura21 »

Sugar was pretty mean yesterday...again. I wonder what's the cause of this.
Attachments
2011-02-04_092629.png
2011-02-04_092629.png (10.7 KiB) Viewed 18023 times
2011-02-04_093309.png
2011-02-04_093309.png (11.26 KiB) Viewed 18023 times
Wisdom
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Wisdom »

Some comments from our trading desk...

"Talk circulating in the Sugar market that the March sugar contract ran through 34.20 and touched off a 5,500 lot sell stop. This caused the market to fall down to 32.05 in a few seconds. No one ever said commodity trading is for the faint of heart!"
LeapFrog
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

CT

Post by LeapFrog »

And at 11:30 AM EST today we are seeing Cotton lock limit down - could be the turn.