Keeping a journal

Discussions about personal psychology for the individual trader.

Do you keep a trading/personal journal?

Yes, make entries at least once per day
19%
Yes, make entries between 1x/day and 1x/week
19%
Yes, "occasionally" make entries
31%
I used to but no longer do
8%
Never have
23%

Total votes: 26

drm7
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Keeping a journal

Post by drm7 »

In my readings of various trading and investment literature, not to mention "self-help" type books, A common thread I see is a strong recommendation to keep a journal. Keeping a journal seems to help us work through our psychological conflicts, plus gives a great record of our decisions, unbiased by hindsight.

How many of you out there keep some type of journal, and has it helped?
Kiwi
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Kiwi »

For system trading I have used a trading occasionally mainly to note how I felt about something and to note any intuitions I have so that I can check them against later history. For discretionary trading I make and entry every trade so that I understand what is working and what is not. I also like a quote I saw somewhere:
"Let your stops do their job. Don't override your plan. Let the market prove your fears by hitting your stop. When you feel compelled to take the early exit - step away from the mouse - pick up a pen and start writing down how you feel."
The same should apply to anyone considering overriding a system entry. I find writing neatly in my diary to be very calming if bars are going against me and I am holding my discipline with difficulty.

John