looking for something new

Questions and discussion of Trading Blox and other platforms for non Trading Blox customers. Trading Blox customers should use the Trading Blox Support forum.
demons19
Contributor
Contributor

looking for something new

Post by demons19 »

This doesn't seem to be a popular topic but I could use some input.....I currently use TradeStation7 and actually like it. The problem is, I hate their new broker (RJO). They recently switched from Lind Waldock who I did like.....Since I have never been able to tap into even 10% of the power of TradeStation I was thinking I should find a broker I like and change my charting platform. I am pretty sure TS7 is very expensive per month if you do not use their broker........................so, my question to all traders out there is this, what kind of charting software do you use? my needs are pretty simple, just want to be able to plot a few charts on a page and couple common indicators........any input would be appreciated.

Thank you
Rich
Kiwi
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Kiwi »

Ive always been a Tradestation 2000i user but have recently been using a different product for real time trading. The major advantages of this platform are that it is light on resources and fits well with my datasource (free from Interactive Brokers). It supports the major indicators and lets you write systems, alerts or new indicators using an excel like interface. Have a look at Sierra Chart on their website:

http://www.sierrachart.com/

John

Addition (12/12). I have moved from Sierra to Ensign primarily because ensign has a much better object model for lines etc. It also has a better programming language.
Last edited by Kiwi on Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jas

Post by Jas »

Has anyone used Aspen Graphics? Any feedback?
shuminli
Contributor
Contributor

byte into the market and trader's powerkit

Post by shuminli »

Has anyone looked at these two systems before?

Byte into the market by tarnsoft (www.tarnsoft.com) and Trader's Powerkit by byte-research (www.byte-research.com). I stumbled onto their websites last week. Both look interesting, I dowloaded Byte Into the Market and tried to contact the developer but couldn't get any kind of response (three emails and one phone call). Does anybody know if tarnsoft still exists?

Shumin
Kiwi
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Kiwi »

I was interested in byte at one point and they published an interesting article, part one of a series, on their website. But several years later there is no part 2 so I wonder if they have lost interest.

John
pjBreen

Post by pjBreen »

I've purchased and used the byte-research product ( it was about three years ago so I do not know if there have been upgrades- but in reviewing the site again it appears to be the exact same product) and would caution you that there is much more robust software out there. You can only work with the three included systems, all channel and volitility breakout type stuff. You can play around with parameters, but no coding your own. As for the turtle system, it was not a full implementation ..really only covered the channel breakout aspects. And lastly, its a one-man shop, so in busy times there is not a lot of depth to the organization. Not trying to be negative, just sharing my experience.
shuminli
Contributor
Contributor

byte research

Post by shuminli »

Thanks for the response. Can you name some other software you mentioned in your message that are more robust? I am relatively new to this field. I know Veritrader has a few more systems, but it doesn't really allow you to test your own systems either. Tradingrecipes is more robust but the interface is clunky, any other ones?

Thanks,

Shumin
pjBreen

Post by pjBreen »

I mainly use TradeStation and am pretty satisfied. It has its shortcomings, my main gripe being the lack of built-in portfolio testing, but there are add-on products from other vendors that help. There is alot of easylanguage code around and as the name implies, it's not too tough to learn. You can also automate your strategies for most stocks and futures that are electronically traded. I keep a close eye, but I auto-trade a few strategies on ES and NQ and only rarely have problems. One thing I do really like about TS is that they maintain a central database of price data, so there is no worring about filtering bad ticks or filling in gaps when your internet goes down, etc.

I've never used it, but I hear alot of positive things about wealthlab. You might consider looking at them.

And lastly, Veritrader looks interesting. I believe 2.0 will let you code your own and I've heard mention of a central database of price info, but I don't know if that's a definate anytime soon.
Berti
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Berti »

Look at www.amibroker.com
A great tool for an unbelievable low price.
Berti
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Berti »

I have to add:
Amibrokers language is quite similar to Easy Language (at least the logic).
Whereas Wealthlab is quite different to EL as it uses a time series concept.

Amibroker also offers the possibility to include VB Scripts, call external COM objects and DLL plugins.
filip
Contributor
Contributor

looking for technical platform using own feeds

Post by filip »

Does anyone know of a system that can support Bloomberg RT feeds and have similiar charting / model development features as for eg, Tradesstation or Metastock. I have examined AMIBROKER and TARNSOFT, and they seem to be limited to YAHOO or similiar portal quote services. I am running a Bloomberg platform and find the graphics package sorely lacking so I wish to add on a more rigourous platform for systems development.
Kvadrik

Signals and orders from Tradestation

Post by Kvadrik »

Strategy Runner offers an advanced server-based solution for the dissemination and robust execution of trading signals and orders, originating from TradeStation or others platforms, to one account or to multiple subscribers.
josbarr
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by josbarr »

Have you looked at Ninja Trader or Trademaven?