Discretionary or systematic trading?

Discussions about trading the Forex markets.
amasnic

Discretionary or systematic trading?

Post by amasnic »

you choose

http://www.beachcapital.com/products/index.html

---

Forum Mgmnt, would you please be so kind in publishing your performance over the last 5-10 yrs?

Tnx
blueberrycake
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by blueberrycake »

Why are you advertising these hedge funds? And why are all of your posts always personally addressed to c.f.?

-bbc
amasnic

Post by amasnic »

I am not advertising anything here, just noting differences between a so called guru traders who claim to be the best while at the same time refusing to publicly admit what their performance over the last 5 to 10 years was. It doesn't add up, right?

If you take Dunn Capital for example, who has published performance for everyone to see, is not a Turtle at all and as far as I can deduce he uses advanced and optimized mathematical models in order to follow trends and not a simple breakout channel system as many here or there would like you to believe

Back tested this turtle staff on stocks recently and from what I can see it performs worse then the simple moving average penetration system. How come?
Kiwi
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Kiwi »

LOL. Interesting point Blueberrycake.

I would be surprised if any breakout system was the right choice for stocks except maybe canslim which relies on a prior pattern to improve probabilities. Its a little less surprising than if it was true for indexes.

Try testing aberration or any of the general futures systems on stocks.

A couple of questions for you amasnic that should solve the problem you posed.
Why should this be true?
What would an index system have to do to win?

John
amasnic

Post by amasnic »

Kiwi, have no idea what you are trying to say! Fire off!
Nathan
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

forum

Post by Nathan »

this forum is called:

"Trader's Roundtable
A forum for mechanical system traders"

If you are interested in a particular traders performance, particularly one that has a money mgt business, perhaps it would be more appropriate for you to conact them via that channel rather than here in the forum.
Kiwi
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Kiwi »

I dont understand the relevance of fire here but I will try to make myself clearer.

You posed a question:
Back tested this turtle staff on stocks recently and from what I can see it performs worse then the simple moving average penetration system. How come?
I stated:
I would be surprised if any breakout system was the right choice for stocks except maybe canslim which relies on a prior pattern to improve probabilities. Its a little less surprising than if it was true for indexes. Try testing aberration or any of the general futures systems on stocks.
and then, rather than tell you the answer I offered you a couple of questions that might lead you to be able to tell us the answer:
Why should this be true?
What would an index system have to do to win?
Hopefully this helps.

John
Ted Annemann
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Ted Annemann »

An interesting comparison of (mechanical systems optimized for trading stocks) versus (mechanical systems optimized for trading futures) is possible by studying the material over at the friendly competitor website called Wealth dash Lab dot com.

99% of the contributed system code is aimed at trading stocks, and all 25 of the "Top 25" systems are systems specifically directed to stock trading. But there are a few systems on that website which are directed to trading futures; you will need to dig and explore a little to root them out.

Big surprise: the stock systems perform poorly when trading futures, and the futures systems perform poorly when trading stocks. I know, you are shocked (shocked!) to discover this.

Why is this? It is simply because the stock systems are designed to exploit one aspect of market behavior, while the futures systems are designed to exploit a completely different aspect of market behavior. Stocks apparently have lots of the former and little of the latter, while futures apparently are the reverse. You can even figure out what these aspects of market behavior actually are, by studying the tables of stock system behavior. (clue: look at column number five)

http://www.wealth-lab.com/cgi-bin/Wealt ... =Top25.htm
amasnic

Post by amasnic »

LOL
Forum Mgmnt
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Forum Mgmnt »

amasnic,

This forum is not like most places. You are expected to interact politely with others. If you have a point to make, then make it. If the purpose of your message is not constructive make it elsewhere.

Innuendo or oblique attacks against others are not acceptable.

I suggest you read the forum guidelines:

viewforum.php?f=1

I think you will find that I'm perfectly willing to answer questions, even tough ones, if you ask them directly. I don't like answering the same question over and over so you'd do well to use the search option before asking questions.

I've addressed my trading record elsewhere in this forum.