further thoughts on TMA with real money

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
Chris67
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

further thoughts on TMA with real money

Post by Chris67 »

I have been trading all my own personal money on the TMA system - first veritrader - now trading blox - for 18 months.
During that time we have made 30 % +.
I second some of the other comments that the TMA is a good system and it is true that pretty much any triple m.a system you pick will make money - HOWEVER ( there is always a '' however in this business'' ) for me the TMA exemplifies everything Richard Dennis ever said - The rules are quite easy but most people simply will not do it !!
Most investors dont like drawdowns and neither do most traders for that matter - You will get plenty of tasty drawdowns with the TMA system -
Example - We had a good November - Our system made about 12 % - During the first 2 days of December we had a 12 % drawdown - Every market just puked against us - Its agonising to sit through and Imagine almost imp[ossible for most - investors would be jumping on the phone and withdrawing money and my office window was calling my name for me to jump - Its hard - but whats hard works -

Chris
Karakoram
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Karakoram »

So its been almost 3 years now. What do you think now ?
Chris67
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Chris67 »

Exactly the same really - TMA is agreat system nice and simple that will make big miney when times are good and suffer nice big draw downs when times are not good - It depends if you can handle the draw down - if you can you will make a lot of money - Just exemplifies the idea once again that successful systems need plenty of vol and draw downs in order to demonstrate their robustness
Medius
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Medius »

Chris67, I'm a Newbie to all this and currently running my own money on a granular Donchian Trend system using spread bets to trade futures.

Re-reading "Way of the Turtle" I was drawn to the examples on page 144 comparing systems. The Triple MA or TMA system seems to do ok with one of the highest win ratios and least DD's. However trying to recreate the simulation test in Blox is proving problematic. As you seem to know the TMA system I wondered if you have ever tried to reproduce the examples in the book?

Thanks in advance.
Medius
Chris67
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Chris67 »

No I havent done this
I simply tested it out and liked what I saw
Of course it depends on your porftfolio, etc and if you mae any subtle changes to the system - but overall i think its robust
most of the systems are the same - they will all have volatility and lengthy draw dwons annd your biggest d/d will always be in front of you