Using the COT

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
danZman
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Using the COT

Post by danZman »

So...who uses the commitment of traders report for timing?

I've been using it to help with my stock trades (actually it's quite fine on its own). Wondering how many use it for commodities? If not, why? Never heard of it, don't think it works? Let's discuss.

D
specularii
Contributor
Contributor

COT Report

Post by specularii »

Hi. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this. I have never heard of the COT report, and would be considered extremely knowledgeable about the markets. What is this & what drove you to post regarding this report? Obviously you see something there that you feel is worth discussing. I am always looking for new info and different views on the market.

specularii
danZman
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by danZman »

First, read Larry's book. It's not bad, although it's not how I use the COT.

Knowing how the dumb money is positioned can really help with timing, although Larry tends to paint a rosey picture with his indicators. Still, just a slight edge combined with trading systems helps a great deal. Kind of like using a long-term MA cross-over or MACD when trading the turtle system or other trend-following systems.

D
RedRock
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by RedRock »