Trading Blox trial - questions

Questions and discussion of Trading Blox and other platforms for non Trading Blox customers. Trading Blox customers should use the Trading Blox Support forum.
seraphim

Trading Blox trial - questions

Post by seraphim »

Forgive me if these questions are already covered somewhere, in the documentation or on the website. I haven't been able to find it.

(1) Can you export test results into Excel? What about the list of trades?

(2) What is the best data service for end-of-day historical stock data? I don't need futures or FOREX, at least not yet! And I don't need intraday.

(3) What are the practical limitations for the number of stocks you can test at the same time? The sample comes with the NASDAQ 100, but I would typically want to be looking at about 1000 stocks with sufficient liquidity for my strategies. Can Trading Blox handle that many stocks? I assume the PC memory would make a difference; I have 512 MB now; how much difference does it make to upgrade to 1 GB or RAM or more?

Thanks very much!
Seraphim
Turtle40
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Turtle40 »

Hi Seraphim,

Can't help you with 1) or 3), but I use Worden data for US stocks. They have a huge database, and I can't say whether it is the "best", but it certainly is excellent value for money. (www.worden.com).

I don't test huge stock numbers, but have found that with 1gig RAM, TB does al that I require of it.

-Turtle40
Forum Mgmnt
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Forum Mgmnt »

1) You can export test results using the right mouse button. You can also use PRINT statements to write out anything you want to a CSV file for excel.

The list of trades is exported if you select the preference for it.

2) We recommend CSI. They give you access to the unadjusted price which lets you know what the price actually traded at so you can do price filters.

3) You can easily test 1,000 stocks. I recommend using 1 Gig RAM but I specifically designed the testing enginge in TradingBlox for testing large numbers of stocks, 8,000 and more. I was doing this years ago with a 512M machine.

This is the primary reason TradingBlox is so fast. You need all the speed you can get when you test that many instruments simultaneously.

- Forum Mgmnt
seraphim

Post by seraphim »

Thanks c.f. and Turtle40! This is very helpful.

-Seraphim