The puzzle, the profits, or both?

Discussions about personal psychology for the individual trader.

What motivates you as a trader?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:25 pm

the challenge of solving the puzzle
50%
the profits
No votes
a combination
50%
something else
No votes

Total votes: 8

Dave S.

The puzzle, the profits, or both?

Post by Dave S. »

I'm interested in a conducting a bit of a poll.

What motivates you as a trader? Is it the challenge of solving the puzzle the markets represent, the profits, or some combination?

I've personally always been fascinated by the puzzle aspect of trading. Sure, the profits are a motive, but if the puzzle can be solved, or a least tamed a bit, the profits will take care of themselves, I thought.

When I get excited about this, it's the puzzle challenge that has the greater lure vs strictly the dollars. (there are, of course, other aspects such as independence, freedom, self-employment, etc..)

How do the reast of you feel?

Dave
Robert Nio

Post by Robert Nio »

I like the puzzle .... like most things in our life mastery comes with passion for the things we do.
edward kim
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by edward kim »

Hi Dave,

I would have to say it's something else for me. I started doing charting at a really young age: my father taught me basic technical analysis when I was five years old, and I was watching the gold futures market. It's really weird when I think about it now, because I don't think any of the other kids were doing things like that.

Maybe because I started at a really young age, trading feels really "natural" and it has no conscious "reason" for me: there is no puzzle per se, there is no "driving desire for profit". It's not like I wake up every day and say, "I gotta figure out this puzzle" or "Let's make lots of money". I just like and enjoy it, and the puzzle and profit are things that are naturally part of the process.

I noticed that the way I view things that I have started very early in life (charting, trading, languages) is very different than the things I started later in life (software programming, golf). I always think about every reason and rule and swing position for golf, and it handicaps my handicap.

Maybe I should have posted in the Trader Psychology forum instead. :shock:

Edward