Profit factor conundrum

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
cazorla
Contributor
Contributor

Profit factor conundrum

Post by cazorla »

Hello everyone,

I was looking at some simulated system results in a spreadsheet with no real goal in mind when I stumbled on the following...

Specifically, I did a simulation on four stocks that individually had PF's of between 2 and 3 and the system test report from my software reported an overall PF of 2.57. When I put the individual trades report in Excel and did a report based on dates and sum of wins/losses for those individual dates and calculated the PF for those numbers, it came out to 1.38.

Conversely, I did the same with another system and it revised the PF radically upward.

100% of proceeds are always reinvested in these systems so the actual weighting of the elements of this "index" is constantly changing, if it matters.

As I said, I had no real goal in mind at the time, but now I'd sure like to know why that happens.

Thanks in advance.