Free sources of historical data

Use this forum to discuss data providers like CSI, charting, or other non testing software.
Macro
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Free sources of historical data

Post by Macro »

Last edited by Macro on Thu May 31, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunter
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by gunter »

Dukascopy also has a historical feed with tick data going back to 2001 for fx rates.
rhc
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by rhc »

babelproofreader
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by babelproofreader »

Macro
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by Macro »

Thanks for the awesome list. Would you guys suggest exporting daily OHLC data from a Bloomberg Terminal and using that instead of external data providers such as CSI?
cordura21
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by cordura21 »

I do that. The main point at the time of the decision was that I could get more data on things like first notice dates, etc... From Bloomberg, so I could setup my own rolling criteria. Or so I thought.

The other thing was that it was easier at the time to just use the Bloomberg Excel adding instead of dealing with separate text files.

Edit: the main issue with Bloomberg's continuous contract tool (which is very good) is that when you use relative rolling days it doesn't take into account business days but plain calendar days, and in some contracts that day difference can leave you rolling in a date with the wrong volume). That's why I did my own tool bur based on their data tool

Edit2: and btw, they have a cool way to change their tickers so you can precisely ask for a continuous contract rolled in any way you want directly from Excel without needing to change you terminal defaults. If you need that I can send you the how to.
Cheers, cord