charts

Use this forum to discuss data providers like CSI, charting, or other non testing software.
QUU

charts

Post by QUU »

how do i get MACD to show up on a third party chart. on TB it just says MACD but when i go to a charting service it is commonly referred to as MACD(12,26,9). TB refers to MACD in only two number terms and all the charting services refer to it in three number terms. please enlighten me.
sluggo
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by sluggo »

These web pages might help with the "why three numbers?" mysteryHere's MACD(12,26,9) on a third party chart: Link4. Plotting it was pretty simple, I just clicked on "Technical Indicators", selected "MACD", and then typed 12 26 9 in the boxes.
Jez Liberty
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Jez Liberty »

dont like google sluggo? :wink:

never heard of cuil though - will give it a try, although I have just done a quick test and results were less relevant than google... :roll:
TrendsCatcher
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by TrendsCatcher »

A few years back, when I just started trading, I spent a lot of time studying these indicators, without leading to any success. Then, one day, a light bulb clicks on and it dawned on me that these indicators (eg, MACD, Stochastics) are all just distorted presentation of the price series and pretend to be scientific – they are just more complicated and awkward ways to say that prices are going up, down, or sideways. So I ditched them all immediately and focused on only price, volume, pattern, and volatility ever since.

So, QUU, you didn't miss anything by not knowing much about MACD. But I am sure you have to figure this out yourself eventually - it seems that's the only way we promote ourselves to the next level of "fools" as Livermore put it.
QUU

charts

Post by QUU »

now i really feel like a newbie! my intent is to trade one of the donchian systems on TB. i'm not a huge fan of MACD myself but the system says only enter long above zero and short below. lets i want to run a system that uses MACD long avg. (200 days) and MACD short avg. (50 days) but every service i've run across requires a third number. it seems to me that i might be missing the entire picture!