One-off data purchase

Questions and discussion of Trading Blox and other platforms for non Trading Blox customers. Trading Blox customers should use the Trading Blox Support forum.
bf2

One-off data purchase

Post by bf2 »

Having browsed this forum for some time, and having read the books by CF and Anthony Garner, I am completely convinced that I need to get myself TBB and then test my ideas.

I believe that I'd need somewhere between 6 months and a year to a) learn to use TBB and write code, b) learn to test properly.

During that time, I don't wish to keep paying CSI a monthly fee for daily data updates. What I would need is a one-off set of historical data on which to run the tests.

So, questions,
If I buy a set of data from CSI (I am thinking US stocks + non-US stocks and indices + delisted stocks), and then cancel the subscription, will TBB continue to work?
Or would that lock the data?
Can I save the purchased data to a CSV or text file and feed that into the tests?

Thanks.
nonpareil
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by nonpareil »

They are completely separate. So, once you download the history you want to work with, then TB can just access that downloaded data. You may want to take another look at CSI to see how it really works though - hint: in order to get a true history you need a yearly subscription, so it doesn't really help you.
rhc
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by rhc »

If CSI requires you to take out a yearly subscription in order to get historical data and you don't want to do that then here is one service that provides US historical data (and US delisted securities data) only without the need for a subscription;

http://www.premiumdata.net/products/pre ... orical.php
http://www.premiumdata.net/products/pre ... /price.php

If you do a google search you might find other data vendors that do the same.
bf2

Post by bf2 »

Excellent, thank you.