Using a remote server for trading

Questions and discussion of Trading Blox and other platforms for non Trading Blox customers. Trading Blox customers should use the Trading Blox Support forum.
RedRock
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Using a remote server for trading

Post by RedRock »

Pondering the benefits / drawbacks with using a remotely located server at a provider such as godaddy. I see godaddy offers private, and shared fractional access to servers. I wonder if you are using a remote server hosted at godaddy or another server farm type location... If you would be kind enough to share your thoughts and feedback.

Thanks,
rr
RedRock
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by RedRock »

Some Pros:
Stability and fast recovery from hardware malfunction.
Fast reliable internet connectivity
Ability to connect from any computer anywhere, more or less.
No need to travel with a laptop which may contain secure information.
PDA access with a remote desktop app (in a pinch)

Some possible cons:
Security
ISP business failure
Inability to connect due to widespread or localized internet failure
Another monthly bill

Is a remote server suitable as a replacement for a home based machine for RnD?

Is it suitable to run a program for automated trading on a remote server? I know exchange co-located servers are big business for high speed algo traders. But how do those of you who have the service use it in actuality. Mainstay, or as backup.

I currently run everything off a widescreen duo core laptop with second monitor on desk. I like the idea that the trading world is right there, ready to move. Like the nuclear football in a briefcase. Just re-evaluating the options...
Stephen Newton
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Stephen Newton »

Hi RedRock

I use easyvserver and have described my approach previously on this forum here:

viewtopic.php?t=5542&highlight=easyvserver

This post was made in May 2009. I have used nothing but this solution since then without a single fail in the receipt of my daily orders file by email.

I do still have TB and UA on my desktop and can remote access this as a backup option but have found it unnecessary. For hassle free automated data download and then subsequent TB order generation I would suggest a remote server for reliability and security any day of the week.

Regards
Stephen
RedRock
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by RedRock »

Thanks Stephen, Your posts definitely did provide 'Food for Thought". I'm in the works on a program which reconciles expected and broker positions, like you run. I have my order entry automated, and am picking up the back side now...

I'm curious if those who run on a remote server. Use that copy for development, or strictly for TB order generation & email. Is it possible, or reasonable to run several interrelated programs involving RT data/brokers platform, generation, and automated intraday entry etc; Or are these best kept locally? I don't really have any experience with the reliability of remote desktop or what the limits are...
Stephen Newton
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Stephen Newton »

Hi RedRock

Order entry automated through to your broker or live onto an online dealing platform? The later is neat and would be interested in hearing more...

I use the remote server for all LIVE system. Development is done on my desktop. This is a good physical separation for me that gives me a level of security and stability for live systems.

On my server I
1) run the data download,
2) the tb order generation,
3) my daily actual capital calculation based on visual basic and imacros screen scrapes of live daily broker positions
4) my daily report
5) my daily order email
6) my weekly excel/visual basic run that keeps an effective trade blotter of open, closed and rolled positions with the broker and reconciles my calcs to broker equity

This is all done either daily or weekly through bat files and runs almost untouched.

So in summary - almost anything you can do on your desktop you can do on a windows remote server.

I can even log onto this remote server effectively turning my 3G iPad into a windows device...

More food?

Stephen
RedRock
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by RedRock »

Wow, very impressive what is possible. Ill tip toe in and see how it goes.

I send orders to IB via their excel API. Over 100 per night. This would require running IB tws on the remote server. Have to try and see I suppose.

The idea of using an iPAD to remote in while away from the office is very cool.

Thanks, very tasty.