C-TRADER Toolkit, N-TRAIN?

Discussions about custom-built testing platforms written in C, C++, or Java.
cyphrograph

C-TRADER Toolkit, N-TRAIN?

Post by cyphrograph »

Did anyone tried these software packages offered by J. Katz and D. McCormick, authors of the book "The Encyclopedia of Trading Strategies (McGraw-Hill, 2000) ? Please share your experiences... Are they easy to use for someone without programing skills?
Thanks
Austrian
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Re: C-TRADER Toolkit, N-TRAIN?

Post by Austrian »

cyphrograph wrote:Did anyone tried these software packages offered by J. Katz and D. McCormick, authors of the book "The Encyclopedia of Trading Strategies (McGraw-Hill, 2000) ? Please share your experiences... Are they easy to use for someone without programing skills?
Thanks

No, what you will get C and c++ Code and a console (DOS) mode ANSI-compliant 32-bit C++ compiler used with the C-Trader Toolkit.

I attached the readme.txt from the CD I bought.

Austrian
tobbe

Post by tobbe »

I agree... C++ is not an easy language, and definitely not easy for a beginner. Also, the toolchain (making an executable program from code, using libraries etc) is hard to understand for a beginner. Especially if you don't have access to an "IDE" (Integrated Development Environment).

The code that makes up the C-Trader Toolkit is rather difficult to decipher. It's written in a C-stylish kind of way, with naming conventions for variables and functions that makes the code hard to follow (in a way that was common 10+ years ago among C programmers). Apart from that, I'm sure that the code is well tested and works - Katz seems to spend a lot of attention to details and verification. I don't use it myself though.

That said, I think the book (The Encyclopedia of Trading Strategies) is one of the best on trading systems that I have ever read (the first place is shared with Pardo).

cheers,
tobbe
oval
Contributor
Contributor

Where can I find them?

Post by oval »

I`ve read "The Encyclopedia..." and was so encouraged that tried to make the same research myself. But now I think I'd better buy CD.
But I cann`t contact them :oops: ... living in Moscow and having no experience of searching in American net :cry:
I`ve found only www.panix.com/~off/software.html
but they don`t reply.
Can anybody help me with really existing Katz`s contacts!!!
Austrian
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Re: Where can I find them?

Post by Austrian »

oval wrote:Can anybody help me with really existing Katz`s contacts!!!

:D Sure - Scientific Consultant Services, INC.
20 Stagecoach Road, Selden, New York 11784
Phone & fax 001 631-696-3333
E-Mail: Jeffrey Owen Katz, Ph.D. [katz@scientific-consultants.com]

Best Regards, Helmut
oval
Contributor
Contributor

Post by oval »

Thank you! :D