So It's Been A Few Months And . .

Discussions about custom-built testing platforms written in C, C++, or Java.
imamicPH
Contributor
Contributor

So It's Been A Few Months And . .

Post by imamicPH »

I'm brand new to the board . . .

I have a C++ programming class and I'd like to post some of my projects and just see what kind of input I can get . . .

I won't be soliciting any answers to the projects, only looking for comments and/or andecdotes about C++, either in academia or industry.

As far as me: I have experience writing programs in Java but have to switch for grad level classes to C++. I did have one course in undergrad(C++) but forgot everything.

I've looked at some websites and it seems like the switch should be easy . .

I'm going to get my book sometime this month . . class starts Nov. 13th.

I'll be posting again soon. . . Feel free to post any updates or relevant info.

Thanks

chris
Tim Arnold
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tim Arnold »

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum!

Best,

Tim
Forum Mgmnt
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Forum Mgmnt »

A couple of thoughts before you begin:

1) Get the book "Code Complete" from Microsoft Press: http://cc2e.com/

It is the best book I know on the craft of programming. It is not about languages or algorithms but the important items that are often left out of courses, variable naming, coding conventions, comments, organization, etc.

2) In the beginning you tend to think that programming is about getting the computer to do what you want, algorithms, and languages. It's a bit like thinking that writing is about grammar or learning English.

This is only true in the beginning.

Good software construction has more to do with organization and architecture than with code itself. With real software, the task is to complete the task in the simplest manner possible and to leave yourself with something that you will understand when you or someone else revisits it months or years later; and with something that can easily be modified to incorporate new features, some of which were not even contemplated when the original code was written.

- Forum Mgmnt
imamicPH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by imamicPH »

Thanks guys.

I checked out that book and read the excerts on that site . . . looks good. I should have read some of that stuff before, it would have helped me out with some of my Java projects.