.NET platform for stand alone applications..

Discussions about custom-built testing platforms written in C, C++, or Java.
TradingCoach
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

.NET platform for stand alone applications..

Post by TradingCoach »

I was reading with increased interest the performance stats of VB.NET versus VB 6 ...
I however foster deep ignorance of the Microsoft world and the dev. environment. My understanding about the .NET platform is that it is 99 percent net centric i.e. geared towards the internet application realm.
Is this true? How would one implement .NET with a stand alone application?
P.S. is the .NET dev. environment still free from Microsoft?
Lquestfree

Re: .NET platform for stand alone applications..

Post by Lquestfree »

TradingCoach wrote:I was reading with increased interest the performance stats of VB.NET versus VB 6 ...
I however foster deep ignorance of the Microsoft world and the dev. environment. My understanding about the .NET platform is that it is 99 percent net centric i.e. geared towards the internet application realm.
Is this true?

Yes a lot of the .Net framework deals with Web programming but there are also significant reworkings of older technologies dealing with plain-old desktop apps --- things like registry access, disk/folder access, new collection types, loading/saving to file or db etc. Lots of bells and whistles available to make a good-looking presentation layer GUI as well. Everything is much more OO and thus as a programmer you have the opportunity to work at a higher level of abstraction.

How would one implement .NET with a stand alone application?
is the .NET dev. environment still free from Microsoft?
There are project template wizards availabe in VS.NET for windows applications (desktop). The framework itself is a free download from microsoft but the IDE is not. i'm not aware of any opensource IDE for .NET but i'm sure they'll have some out sooner or later.

HTH.
GuyPapyrus
Contributor
Contributor

.NET free IDEs

Post by GuyPapyrus »

Two free .NET IDEs I know of:

- Webmatrix, geared for ASP.NET apps
- SharpDevelop: not too familiar with this one; though I do knwo that where early builds supported only C#, the latest appears to support VB.NET as well

urls are, respectively:

http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/default.as ... 4&tabId=46
http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/Default.aspx

Best,
GP
Lquestfree

Post by Lquestfree »

had a feeling there were some out there :) tks for info
Chris Murphy
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by Chris Murphy »

Just downloaded the iCSharpCode.NET Application. Will use it and post back any good/bad feedback.

Chris
Bernd
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Bernd »

:wink: