RSI for Stock, ETF or Mutual Strength

How do you know when a trend has started? Ended? This forum is for discussions about trend indicators and signals.
j2sailor
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

RSI for Stock, ETF or Mutual Strength

Post by j2sailor »

:?: Hi. I'm reading up on using a 14 and 21 day RSI. Anyone had experience with using 14 day RSI for timing short term reversals (trend reversals when RSI falls below 30) and 21 day RSI for trend strength? Any help for this Neophyte would be appreciated. :)
shakyamuni
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by shakyamuni »

The technique you mention sounds non-robust.
j2sailor
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

re: non-robust

Post by j2sailor »

Yes, by itself it would be quite non-robust. I am looking at this as another tool to add to the arsenal - not a lone indicator by any means. I have very limited funds and am trying to find effective entry/exit tools to use for ETF or Mutual funds. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks again for taking the time to reply :)
gms

Re: RSI for Stock, ETF or Mutual Strength

Post by gms »

I use RSI(21) in this manner: When the indicator is running along the 50 line, it just confirms for me that the stock is consolidating. Anything above 50 lets me know the stock is closing higher. I don't use it for OS/OB, turning points or trend strength. But I think the question you need to ask yourself is, "why use 14?" and "why use 21"?
j2sailor
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by j2sailor »

8) thanks to all who have replied! :D
pro21k
Contributor
Contributor

rsi

Post by pro21k »

yes, maybe cardwell say 14 days, so u use it , and anyone use rsi like cardwell ,how about it pls comment
NOIZE
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: RSI for Stock, ETF or Mutual Strength

Post by NOIZE »

Those parameters are almost identical and produce indistinguishable results. The 14-day is barely sharper. Conversely, the 21-day is barely smoother.

With the parameters of 14-day and 21-day in mind, one RSI functions in a similar manner relative to the use of both.

For an illustrative example, there's an attached PNG file which exhibits the uncanny resemblance shared by a 14-day and 21-day RSI.

j2sailor wrote::?: Hi. I'm reading up on using a 14 and 21 day RSI. Anyone had experience with using 14 day RSI for timing short term reversals (trend reversals when RSI falls below 30) and 21 day RSI for trend strength? Any help for this Neophyte would be appreciated. :)
Attachments
SharpChartv05.png
SharpChartv05.png (13.03 KiB) Viewed 9158 times