Excel Formulas

How do you know when a trend has started? Ended? This forum is for discussions about trend indicators and signals.
Thorpesommer
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Excel Formulas

Post by Thorpesommer »

I want to thank anyone who can help in advance! I am a Excel neophyte but have managed to figure a few things out that are helping me as I continue to educate myself. For example, I know the Excel formulas to find a max or min value in a range.

MAX(A1:A100) the maximum value in the cells A1 to A100
MIN(A1:A100) the minimum value in the cells A1 to A100
However, I have not been able to figure out how to find how out how to do it on a running basis. Let's say that I wanted to track a contract's end of day data only and I was inputting this and other information in order to get N. In addition, I wanted to be able to find the max but only on a running basis for the last x days. Would anyone be kind enough to tell me how I can accomplish this?

Sandor
RedRock
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by RedRock »

If you have a column of values, say closing price. say it has 100 rows so far. You want the average, min, max whatever of the most recent group of 10 days. You need to make a formula in a new column which is 10 rows down from the top. You need the top ten for 'priming'. so in cel B10 ..... =max(A1:A10) If you drag this formula down with the lower rt corner, it will create formulas to make the running calculation you desire.
Thorpesommer
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by Thorpesommer »

Redrock wrote:
If you have a column of values, say closing price. say it has 100 rows so far. You want the average, min, max whatever of the most recent group of 10 days. You need to make a formula in a new column which is 10 rows down from the top. You need the top ten for 'priming'. so in cel B10 ..... =max(A1:A10) If you drag this formula down with the lower rt corner, it will create formulas to make the running calculation you desire.

Thanks, Sandy