Any successful Factor-based system for futures?

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
td80
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by td80 »

I'm curious if anyone has built a factor-based approach with some success on the futures side of the business. Then say carry the top X liquid instruments and rebalance as needed. Then just do an asset allocation to it as an asset class rather than a long/short technical approach across multiple systems.

I do this on the equities side (multiple systems but factor based ranking rather than T/A) but I must admit I still time the equities asset class (thus completely in/out or partial based on macro timing signals) rather than having a static allocation to the asset class 365 days a year.

I think if I were going to be one of those big shot hedge-fund types, I would build nice models within an asset class and then have overall macro timing indicators which would put me in and out on a tactical basis from a macro view. The best of both worlds so to speak (top-down and bottom-up combined). Fortunately I'm not much for the marketing and baby kissing so I'll likely be sticking to my humble knitting.

Still I am curious if anyone has taken this approach on the futures side...