Trading LME

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
kianti
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Trading LME

Post by kianti »

I'm new to LME and quite confused.
So far I've learned that (please correct me if I got it wrong):
For futures variation margin is a cost/revenue.
For LME forwards variation margin is a credit/debit
For futures you have an expiry date that is fixed for every contract.
For LME you have a prompt date (expiry) that is changing every day.

Now the $1.000.000 question: today I've bought 1 LME Lead 3 mth (trial account :lol: 8) :lol: ) at 2200.00 and prompt date 5-nov-10.

Let's say I need to close my position in 5 days, I would sell again the 3mth contract with prompt 12-nov-10. Is my position closed or do I have to do something else.

Thanks again for any help.

Best regards, as ever
Attachments
LEAD Carry.png
LEAD Carry.png (40.98 KiB) Viewed 3257 times
Chris67
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Chris67 »

Kianti
It i smy understanding - and I may be wrong that if you did that you would have a position still running - 5 vrs 12 November - so when you close the position out you will need to close it against the 5th Novemeber
It is also my understanding of why trading LME is a tough one because BLOX will assume you are in the 3 month contract every day and so the price will not be accurate - i.e. 3 month tomorrow is not the same as 3 months today - hence when you backtest LME metals your not always trading what you tested ?
C
p.s Please correct me if Im wrong anybody
kianti
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by kianti »

Chris67 wrote:Kianti
It i smy understanding - and I may be wrong that if you did that you would have a position still running - 5 vrs 12 November - so when you close the position out you will need to close it against the 5th Novemeber
It is also my understanding of why trading LME is a tough one because BLOX will assume you are in the 3 month contract every day and so the price will not be accurate - i.e. 3 month tomorrow is not the same as 3 months today - hence when you backtest LME metals your not always trading what you tested ?
Thanks Chris,
I think you're right, I'll have to close with the 5-nov-10 prompt. I don't see price quoted for contracts different from the 3-months, maybe because I'm on a trial version.
The second part of your answer seems more tricky: 3 months tomorrow is not the same as 3 months today.... cost of carry comes into play.
Most of the futures contracts are in contango, while LME metals in backwardation,if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for your answer, I'll have to ask a broker or the local huge producer of semi-finished copper products.

Best regards, as ever
kianti
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by kianti »

I'm scanning my PC and I've found a couple of things about LME.
Discount Factors for LME and an old Excel sheet I made with Aluminium prices.
Attachments
LME discount margins.pdf
(54.99 KiB) Downloaded 610 times
Alluminium.png
Alluminium.png (33.56 KiB) Viewed 3229 times