Point-adjusted vs. Percentage-adjusted Continuous Data

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
sunyata
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Point-adjusted vs. Percentage-adjusted Continuous Data

Post by sunyata »

I just purchased data from Pinnacle who provides software to form both point-adjusted (i.e. backward-adjusted) as well as percentage-adjusted continuous contracts. I want to confirm that
  • *point-adjustment does not retain accurate day-to-day percentage changes (nor volatility in terms of percentage) but does retain volatility in terms of points; and
    *percentage-adjusted does not retain volatility in terms of points but does retain day-to-day percentage changes (as well as volatility in terms of percentage)
So if one uses in his/her system measures of volatility based on point changes, such as ATR, then s/he would want to use point-adjusted continuous contracts. Otherwise, to measure volatility using ATR on a percentage-adjusted contract would yield incorrect historical ATR values.

I want to make sure I am not overlooking something as this is the first time I have looked into the issue.

Gratzi!
sluggo
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by sluggo »

The "Search" button is your friend, get to know her. She will give you many happy discoveries, only three of which are listed below:

viewtopic.php?t=5226&start=0

viewtopic.php?t=1281&start=0&postdays=0 ... highlight=

viewtopic.php?t=6390&start=0
Attachments
button2.png
button2.png (8.22 KiB) Viewed 2687 times
sunyata
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by sunyata »

oh how do i love her! <3 thnx.