Win/loss ratios

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
Jwebster
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Win/loss ratios

Post by Jwebster »

Anyone got an opinion on what kind of win/loss ratio you should be aiming for as a measure of a 'good' system. ie. should wins outweigh (in terms of $) losses by 2 to 1, 3 to 1, etc. Does anyone have a standard threshold below which you junk your current settings and try again?
Kiwi
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Kiwi »

Many will say 2.5 or 3 to 1 as a target.

But I have one good system that is 0.8 to 1 and another that is 1:120 so rules can sometimes be profitably broken.

John
Jwebster
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by Jwebster »

Thanks for the input!
Jason_L

Post by Jason_L »

FYI: I just discovered this forum, and I like what I see :) I have never really felt compelled to participate in any others I've come across.

I don't personaly keep any hard and fast rules for my back testing. I look at the resulting equity curves from the tests and see if it looks "OK".. I look at drawdowns, length of consecutive losing trades, etc. I also try to make sure the bulk of my wins weren't all grouped during a small window of market conditions, that they relied of some anomoly, etc. (unless you can count on those conditions recurring). If you can live with the resulting equity curves and stats, then I think the "magic numbers" for things like win/loss, winning percentage, etc., are just a matter of personal preferences.