Support for custom built C++ DLL?

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
utrading
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Support for custom built C++ DLL?

Post by utrading »

Hi,

I remember there was a discussion about supporting custom build C++ DLL in TBB, however I couldn’t find any relevant info from current TBB guide. Has there been any progress recently?

As a matter of fact I don’t own TB yet. I evaluated TBB about a month ago and I really like it a lot. Within a week I was able to built a FX system using some custom indicator and I was able to verify that TBB does exactly what I dictated, as an added bonus the system does seem to be profitable over past 15 years. Needless to say I am very impressed with how powerful TBB is.

Then soon I face the question I raised above. I have some fairly complicated indicators that I have already implemented in C++, and I use R for testing and visual checking these indicators. (For those who are not familiar, R is an open source language and environment for statistical computing and graphics, see http://www.r-project.org/). If I were to use these indicators in TBB, it looks like I will have to implement them again, in TBB language. This is not only time consuming, but also error prone.

Another hurdle that I face is many times I just want to visually examine a particular price history, and R handles this naturally, while TBB doesn’t seem to allow this unless you run a simulation. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Tim Arnold
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tim Arnold »

Trading Blox does not support DLL's or API's at this time. You could write the indicators in Blox, or you could compute the indicators in R and export to a file. Within Trading Blox it is easy to import extra instrument data that is formatted in a text file as Date,Value. The dates are synchronized with the instrument dates when imported.

Trading Blox has a Chart only feature that will chart any markets so you can examine just the price data.