"back-testing" vs "trading systems"

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
TradingCoach
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

"back-testing" vs "trading systems"

Post by TradingCoach »

How do you feel about this?
Could this be one or one functionality has to be more distinct?
If you have a back-testing system why could it not give you signals on current (end-of-day) data?
I know that a backtesting system also crunches the results and gives statistical reporting/graphs on results. Is there any OTHER difference I am missing?
SysTrader
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Trading System / Backtesting

Post by SysTrader »

A great Software for Trading System development has to be able to do both. This ensures you are really trading what you have backtested. But is there really a commercial software which can do this? (capable of using a portfolio of systems/markets and Position/Money-Management)
Jason_L

Post by Jason_L »

i coded up a trading platform for myself that does both.. to cover both scenerios I just abstracted out the source of the data feed, and coded up a simulated-order-execution system ("normal" back testing logic - slippage, etc). Basicly I just swap the datafeed to my indicators between either a live feed or database, and route order(s) (not manualy) either to my direct-access broker's computer or to my "simulated execution" code.. In the end, the coding effort was worth it - I was able to set it up to send alerts to my phone/email, etc (I run everything on remote server). One of the items on my to-do list is to code up a user interface for my Samsung palm phone :)
Since i don't trade full time anymore I wanted to be able stay on top of everything while at work :)