screening programs

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
Dave S.

screening programs

Post by Dave S. »

Can some of you comment on this, please?

I'm interested in a program that can screen stocks, mutual funds, and anything else, based upon preset criteria such as, but not limited to:

1) making new high of X days
2) in (user) defined trading channel of X days
3) other, user-set parameters

Since there are tens of thousands of stocks, mutual funds, and futures worldwide, what would allow me a way of feeding in data and then letting the program screen?
Is this a program I'd have to write myself?
If so, what language would be best?

Thanks in advance for any and all help and advice!

Dave
Robert Nio

Post by Robert Nio »

How much "expierence" do you have programming in a "real" language? C / Java / Pascal ... or even C++?

Let me know ... I might have something for you.

Robert
Dave S.

Experience

Post by Dave S. »

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your offer of help!

Unfortunately, I don't have much programming experience at all. I'm certainly willing to learn, but realize this will take time. I may be able to solicit help from those I know, and people in the family with programming experience.

I've just not found any programs offered to the general public that seem to do the things I want to do with them, hence my question about having to write a program.

I'm anxious to hear any suggestions!

Dave
JT
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by JT »

Dave, for stocks, there are a couple web sites you might try. (more exist, try google it you want more)

My favorite is: http://stockcharts.com, it has the ability to build fairly complex stock screens.

Another newer one that I haven't played with much is www.stockfetcher.com

Your more limited on the futures side. www.prophet.net has some pattern search, but doesn't meet all your stated needs.

Once you cross the programming line, then there are quite a few more options open to you.

good luck!
JT
kpj746
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by kpj746 »

For simple stock scanning and I stress simple stock scanning (no back testing/portfolio testing) off the shelf programs such as metastock and tradestation are more than adequate.

Both of these and undoubtedly others that I am aware of allow you to scan a selected universe of instruments quickly.
Nathan
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

net based scanner.

Post by Nathan »

I am looking for a scanner that will find the most volitile stocks that meet minimum user defined price and volume cut off levels. volitility, im just talking the atr or tr / price.

anyone seen anything like this.
MCT
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by MCT »

Nathan

I came across this nifty software years ago. From what I understand the company has gone under. It appears, it just might hold the answer to some of your questions.

http://www.moneymentor.com/sponsors/pinpoint.htm

Cheers
batuco9
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by batuco9 »

CSI Unfair Advantage package, which comes along with its data services, includes a 'Market Scanner'. I don't use it but per description it appears fairly interesting. Per setup it can adjust for splits, capital gains, dividends, stocks with less than x data, and can screen by price, highest high or lowest low, earnings per share, earnings, market capitalization, number of institutional investors, RSI, average true range, volatility, moving average crossovers, ADX, Williams %R, Oscillator and Ultimate Oscillator (Larry Williams). Per the manual, it seems you can add to that via Perl scripts. For the earnings, capitalization etc. you access CSI's database, which could be an advantage. Might try to check if anybody in this forum uses this tool in order to get a knowledgeable opinion.

Best of luck.