Double MA Crossover in Forex

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
Matthader
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Double MA Crossover in Forex

Post by Matthader »

I don't have the ability to backtest right now but I was wondering in the case of Forex would you be better off only taking the signal in the direction of positive swap rates and therefore ignoring most of the sell signals?

I'm talking about the 100/350 Double MA mentioned in TWOTT.
sluggo
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Re: Double MA Crossover in Forex

Post by sluggo »

Matthader wrote:I don't have the ability to backtest right now but I was wondering in the case of Forex would you be better off only taking the signal in the direction of positive swap rates and therefore ignoring most of the sell signals?
The only procedure I can imagine that will get you an answer to your question, is to try out 3 ideas in backtesting and see whether one of them is clearly preferable to the others
  • IDEA 1: Only take the signal in the direction of positive swap rates (your idea)
    IDEA 2: Only take the signal OPPOSITE TO the direction of positive swap rates (the opposite of your idea)
    IDEA 3: Take all signals regargless of the direction of positive swap rates
That's probably not the reply you seek, sorry.
svquant
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by svquant »

In addition to sluggo's answer you can get a feel for what you are trying to accomplish by examining the differences in returns from currency trend following indicies vs currency yield indicies. Something to think about as you code up the three tests mentioned.
Matthader
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by Matthader »

Yes thanks i appreciate the responses.