What does the Donchian system do...

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
LeviF
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

What does the Donchian system do...

Post by LeviF »

...if the (long) entry stop price is not hit, but then the breakout threshold drops below the stop price?
sluggo
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by sluggo »

Could you draw a picture showing what you mean?

Maybe your picture would resemble the drawing in section 11.16 of the Trading Blox User's Guide on page 90.

Better yet, run the Donchian system (available in Blox Pro and Blox Builder), go to the Trades tab, find a chart that shows the situation you're wondering about, and capture a screen image of that exact situation. Then paste it here to clarify your meaning.

(Search the forum for Screen Capture to find several freeware software packages that do this...)
LeviF
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by LeviF »

This happened to me yesterday with a practice forex account. I had a buy stop order for AUD/USD at 0.9352. The high was 0.9345 so it didn't trigger my stop. When I generated orders last night, my x-day breakout threshold dropped to 0.9320, but the AUD was then trading at 0.9334.
sluggo
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by sluggo »

Run Donchian with the default parameters, on the All Liquid portfolio. Look at the chart of Gold in the vicinity of 11 July 2007. Is that an example of the scenario you're talking about?

edit: found a more dramatic example
Last edited by sluggo on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeviF
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by LeviF »

I'm not on my computer. Screen shot?
gunter
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by gunter »

I would firstly check the logic.

If the market traded at a high of 0.9345 yesterday, then the breakout for today should be at least 0.9345 (depending on number of days).

If the logic is correct, then you need to still take the breakout.

However, I suspect you are trading a forex account with OANDA, and with them there are no gaps. So I suspect that there is a logic mistake somewhere.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

gunter
LeviF
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by LeviF »

I think what happened is that after my EOD data was downloaded and processed, the market proceeded to rise. TB generated orders for the new x-day high, but the current price was above that and obviously TB didn't know that.

Since the price was above my entry stop, I entered a market order with my TB calculated stop, but reduced position size so that my % risk was the usual amount. Maybe I should have waited for the next entry signal?

I guess these are just the issues one faces when going real-time...
RedRock
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by RedRock »

levijean wrote: I guess these are just the issues one faces when going real-time...
Yup