Contango and Backwardation in Data

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
nodoodahs
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Contango and Backwardation in Data

Post by nodoodahs »

Does back-adjusting a previous contract higher imply a contango? If the spot doesn't change, does this "bake in" a profit for a short?

Similarly, does a backwardation imply (1) back-adjusting would result in adjusted data being lower than current and (2) a "free ride" for longs?
nodoodahs
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by nodoodahs »

Woo-hoo! Anybody listening?

I know it's not a sexy question, and probably a stupid one, but I'd appreciate an answer ...
Jason
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by Jason »

Yes. You get the idea.

A contango market with no underlying price movement will produce a downward sloping backadjusted price series and vice versa for a backwardated market.

Backwardation is sometimes called "normal backwardation" as some believe that those who are willing to buy in the future need to be compensated for the risk they are assuming by receiving the roll yield. However, to add to all the confusion, many markets do not normally trade in backwardation. Even those that do can often trade in contango for long periods...witness Crude Oil.

I hope that helps.

Jason
nodoodahs
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by nodoodahs »

That helps a lot, thanks Jason!

I was looking for a control to backtest against, and was using buy and hold a contract as the control to some strategies - and noticed that buy and hold (including rolling commissions) produced losses in some cases, and profits in others.

Also thinking about the cost of somebody holding a long in a contango market and what that might eventually do to the price of the commodity ... when the longs get tired of being eaten away.
yoyo2000
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by yoyo2000 »

Trading on Back-Adjusted continuous futures data,one could get the profit from the difference between entry price and exit price,in this case,it seems that the trading/simulation result have nothing to do with contango and backwardation,for example,(2760-2639)=(3012-2891).